East Timor Apr. 9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
05-04-09cr041.jpg

05-04-09cr059.jpg

05-04-09cr076.jpg

05-04-09cr088.jpg

Nice!!

Two things: I really want you to go back to that first clam and get the little bright soft coral and the mantle of the clam - that would look so cool :D

And I just had to have a little 5 second play with the last wonderful image - I won't post it unless it's OK...I'd love to email it to you if you don't want it here.

alcina:
Two things: I really want you to go back to that first clam and get the little bright soft coral and the mantle of the clam - that would look so cool :D

And I just had to have a little 5 second play with the last wonderful image - I won't post it unless it's OK...I'd love to email it to you if you don't want it here.

Thanks Alcina. I will go back and look for the clam to get a shot for you. Sure go ahead and post the image, I am intrigued. Only, condition - you tell us how you did it. :eyebrow:

Ooops, forgot! It doesn't take much. I went into Brightness/contrast and moved the sliders a bit - neither was moved to more than +_2...I just wanted more texture in the water.

Then I went to selective colour to make the lighting pop. Again, I just messed with the sliders for each colour - again, only a one or two point move on any slider. I didn't want to create colour, just coax what was there out a bit. To me I think the second version looks like you definitely had your light right on the subject without looking like I just coloured things in with a magic marker. Again, it's only tweaking what's there in the first place.

if you've gone into one of those photo finishing places you might have seen the colour chart thing on the wall (with +1 cyan, -1 cyan etc examples). This is the same thing for digital.

On some images, heading to the shadows/highights (PS CS) and making a very minor change can make a lot of difference. In this version not so much, but maybe on the original. It's all experiementing.

You didn't say if you actually liked it or not :wink:

I like it. More vibrant colors. I am always hesitant to slide on the contrast, colors, etc. feeling that I am altering the original too much. I usually only saturate a bit on the Master but I see that doing the colors indivitualy really makes a difference.

Thanks!

I have found that I hardly ever use the saturation slider now.

And I too am very hesistant to do "too much" in PS...that's why I really pay attention to the fine adjustments...if an image needs to slide way over in any area it's probably too far gone for me. But little pushes are perfect...if I can send a file to the printer that is ready to go I don't have to deal with them printing different versions...quick mini labs are the worst!

I am not a big fan of "creating" an image for the most part - I don't have the patience to deal with that in PS. But I am a big fan of getting the most out of the information my camera captured in the first place!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom