East. Puerto Rico 1st time Luqillo, Vieques, Culebra,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghosty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoarders! Me and my GF are spending 10days in Luqillo, via AirBnB. Already booked, so there's no changing our home base. We wanted to be close to the Yunque rainforest, and she's already been to San Juan. Also, there was a high risk warning for Dengue Fever in SJ recently so won't be doing anything there, only the airport. Not renting a car. We don't speak Spanish. I have my DAN & travel insurance up to date.

She loves to snorkel and I want to do 3 days of diving and love both. Many questions, so thanks in advance for all your good/bad experiences and valued advice! We've been watching a ton of PR scuba and PR trip YT vids, post your recommended videos! Watched the usual "top-10 waterfalls in PR", etc, those types. Neither of us speak Spanish. We don't drink, party, or care much for bars/nightlife, etc.

-- I'll bring my octopus, regs, computer, booties, camera, and mask. Love my Axiom i3 BCD, but should I bother bringing it?

-- Favorite snorkeling beaches in that northeast zone of the island?

-- Anything special to know when planning dive trips in northeast PR? Best scuba outfits in Luqillo, Fajardo, or on the east coast?

-- Culebra: Scuba outfit? Dive spots? Snorkeling? Ferry or other best way to get there?

-- Vieques: Scuba outfit? Dive spots? Snorkeling? Ferry or other best way to get there?

-- If only one island: Palomino, Culebra, or Vieques? If only doing two, which would you pass on?

-- El Yunque: Touring outfits? Best chance or area to see wildlife? Will do multiple ventures.

Other than the above many things, we'll be happy just being on the beach, restaurants, and taking tons of photos. Thanks for any help!

How do you plan to move around without renting a car?

How do you plan to move around without renting a car?
We reserved a car. Fox Rentals at the S.J. airport. Compact SUV, $32/day.

I’m glad you guys did. Otherwise you would have had a bad time and probably no diving!

I will get back to you with recs tomorrow. For now, I’ll just say Luquillo is a great base to stay at!

I’m glad you guys did. Otherwise you would have had a bad time and probably no diving!

I will get back to you with recs tomorrow. For now, I’ll just say Luquillo is a great base to stay at!
Glad you got a local to respond. I was going to say the same thing. Luquillo is a great area to stay in, with some really fantastic food options. Try La Parrilla if you get the chance.

Luquillo is a great area to stay in, with some really fantastic food options. Try La Parrilla if you get the chance.
Glad to hear that! La Parrilla is on our list actually. Any other restaurant recommendations are welcome, in the entire area.

What are the favorite beaches on the northeast and east coasts? Where is the best shore entry snorkeling, or are boat trips to the reefs are best?

My wife and I (both divers) will be staying in the Isla Verde area at the end of May. We are planning to dive with Sea Ventures out of Fajardo on their two-tank catamaran tour to Culebra.

From their website they indicate they accommodate both divers and snorkelers.

On a prior trip we flew to Culebra and dove with Culebra Divers. I honestly don’t know if they allow snorkelers on their dive boats.

My wife and I (both divers) will be staying in the Isla Verde area at the end of May. We are planning to dive with Sea Ventures out of Fajardo on their two-tank catamaran tour to Culebra.

From their website they indicate they accommodate both divers and snorkelers.

On a prior trip we flew to Culebra and dove with Culebra Divers. I honestly don’t know if they allow snorkelers on their dive boats.
Sea Ventures is on our list too. I'm going to call and get details. Thanks IBJ!

Hello ScubaBoarders! Me and my GF are spending 10days in Luqillo, via AirBnB.
Perfect town to stay at. Ton of food at the Kioscos. Close to El Yunque. Close to the ferry boats to Vieques and Culebra. 50 min drive to San Juan.

She loves to snorkel and I want to do 3 days of diving and love both. Many questions, so thanks in advance for all your good/bad experiences and valued advice! We've been watching a ton of PR scuba and PR trip YT vids, post your recommended videos! Watched the usual "top-10 waterfalls in PR", etc, those types. Neither of us speak Spanish. We don't drink, party, or care much for bars/nightlife, etc.

-- I'll bring my octopus, regs, computer, booties, camera, and mask. Love my Axiom i3 BCD, but should I bother bringing it?
If you got plenty of space, sure, bring it. But you'll find all the equipment (except for computer and camera) you need at all dive shops. Maybe bring your mask since that is very important for it to fit you great.

I would never see myself traveling with a jacket style BCD. Seems heavy and bulky.
-- Favorite snorkeling beaches in that northeast zone of the island?
Sorry, not sure about this. all I'll say is watch out for currents. The beaches that have currents will have a sign that say so. PLEASE DONT SWIM THERE. Lately tons of people have been ignoring it and drown.

-- Anything special to know when planning dive trips in northeast PR? Best scuba outfits in Luqillo, Fajardo, or on the east coast?
In Fajardo is Sea Ventures. I think they dive in Fajardo, and they also go to Culebra.

-- Culebra: Scuba outfit? Dive spots? Snorkeling? Ferry or other best way to get there?
Oh yeah. There's plenty of snorkeling in Culebra. My fav snorkeling spot is Tamarindo beach. (Tamarindo Beach · Tamarindo Beach Road, Culebra, 00775, Puerto Rico) It's very grassy so it's very common to see sea turtles. I've seen rays, too.

Punta Soldado is another good snorkeling place. Playa punta soldado Beach · Punta Soldado beach Culebra, Playa Sardinas II, Culebra 00775, Puerto Rico

Ferry is a good way to get there. Just make sure you buy your ticket in advance. Ceiba Culebra - Puerto Rico Ferry anchored by Hornblower If you don't have a ticket yet, BUY IT NOW. It sells out very quickly, specially during high season.

You can also fly from Ceiba to Culebra. It's a 10 minute flight. Quite scenic. I think a one way flight costs around $50.

Best way to get around Culebra is to rent a car. I've rented from Carlos Jeep Rental. There's one more company but I don't remember its name. If you don't rent from them, there are taxis, but it's sometimes complicated to get them to pick you up. Also, they won't go to all beaches.

I've never dived in Culebra, but I've heard it's great. I've also read there has been a lot of coral bleaching, but I'd still give it a try. I know Culebra Divers dives there. Culebra Divers - Dive Shop, Culebra, PR - Scuba Diving and Snorkeling

-- Vieques: Scuba outfit? Dive spots? Snorkeling? Ferry or other best way to get there?
Sorry, I don't know Vieques as much.

Same ferry situation. Buy your ticket as soon as possible. They sell out quickly. There are also flights there,

I follow Isla Nena Scuba on Instagram. Isla Nena Scuba If I were to dive in Vieques, I would call them.

-- If only one island: Palomino, Culebra, or Vieques? If only doing two, which would you pass on?
If only one, Culebra. If two, Culebra and Vieques.

Palomino is an Island you can only get to with your own boat, a charter boat, or through the El Conquistador resort, and they will only take you there if you're staying with them. It's just a very small island with a beach. Very nice place to chill out with nothing to do.

-- El Yunque: Touring outfits? Best chance or area to see wildlife? Will do multiple ventures.
I've never done a tour. They have a nice visitors center, maybe go there and talk to the park people.

I like to hike upwards. Nice views at the top and it's a nice hike too. If you hike downwards, you'll reach a place where you can get in the river and swim. There are also some waterfalls.

Other than the above many things, we'll be happy just being on the beach, restaurants, and taking tons of photos. Thanks for any help!
Next time you come visit, I suggest you go diving in Guanica o La Parguera, on the south. Both Island Scuba and Paradise Scuba are good dive operations. Island Scuba is a 6 pack boat, but usually gets more advanced divers, and there dive spots are really really good. Paradise Scuba has a much nicer boat, and also more divers.

I also like shore diving in Crash Boat, in Aguadilla, (in the west coast). If you do, checkout Black Anchor Diving.

Rincon (also west) has good diving too, both boat and shore diving. I've dived with Taino Divers.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom