East Coast USA - Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calinectes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm thinking of doing a dive trip in Irian Jaya next spring. I need to get from Wash. DC area to Manado in order to get a domestic flight to Sorong (I've been told that Silk doesn't fly direct to Sorong from Bali anymore). Who has the best (easiest) flights? I'm likely a single female traveling alone. Any experiences or advice is greatly appreciated.

Singapore Air has a great flight from Newark direct to Singapore. If you want to stay in Manado for some time, take Silk Air to there. Neither flight is the cheapest way to get there but you'll be glad you did. I believe that the only airlines which fly to Sorong are Merpati Nusantara Dba Air Mali through Jakarta, Manado and smaller cities(http://www.merpati.co.id/), Pelita Air Service - 6D sometimes (http://www.pelita-air.com/) and Lion Airlines (http://www.lionair.co.id/).

Now this is something that I'd never dream of saying in my lifetime: your best option is on Merpati. Good luck. :wink:

You can fly to Manado from Singapore, Bali or Jarkata (as far as international airports are concerned). Your best bet is probably Singapore. From East coast it is probably easier to fly via Europe. Beside Singapore Airline, Lufthansa, KLM, etc etc should be able to connect you to Singapore easily. Thai Airways has a nonstop flight from New York to Bangkok then you can connect to Singapore but that flight might not be around for much longer.

I would also check with the resort or boat you are diving with on alternatives. They probably want you to arrive at a certain time for a liveaboard. Singapore is a great base for Indo pacific diving.

Thanks guys. The research I've done is pretty conclusive. NY-Singapore-Manado. The direct flight from NJ leaves Singapore too early to connect from Manado, so I'd have to overnight in SIN to make it. It is also $300 more on the rack rate. I've found a vendor willing to do the air for me and the flight out of JFK (1 stop Frankfurt) through the vendor is discounted over what I can do for myself. If I did it myself it would be $400 more to coordinate all the flights.

I will ask the vendor to price me the direct flight + singapore just to see what he comes up with though. I'll let you all know.

Just go to SIngapore airlines website. They often have deals etc for online only. It's a good way to compare to your agent or expedia.
The EWR-SIN flight is shorter since there's no stopover in Frankfurt. You also get bigger seats with power outlets in economy too. It is more expensive but I think it's worth it just to save the 2 hours and the hassle of getting in and out of the plane. I do the LAX-SIN flight quite a lot since it started last year and have done the EWR-SIN once in Sept. No other airline has better service except maybe Virgin Upper Class.

We are trying to plan a trip that includes Raja Ampat and Sipadan. Any help in figuring out how to move between these areas. We are having trouble identifying flights that get us between these two places. Thanks, A

Hi Aeivers,

Here is some information on how to get to Monado.

Also have a look at our informaton on getting to Tawau.

I would check out the Air Asia site to give you an idea of more flights on offer.

OnTheSpot - you might want to update your page on Getting to Tawau - air asia has more flights now from KL and it is no longer free seating.

aeivers-
As written above, the cheapest way would probably be on Air Asia - but Manado is not the only connection point.

If starting in Sipadan and going to Raja Ampat you could go Tawau > Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia (spend a night in Kuala Lumpur) and continue the next morning to Manado or Makassar (you might have to spend a night in Makassar or Mando) again on Air Asia. Then continue onwards to Sorong (Merpati or Lion Air)

If you start in Raja Ampat and go to Sipadan later you could fly Sorong > Makassar (UPG) on Merpati and make the Air Asia flight to Kuala Lumpur. You'd then have to spend a night in KL and continue to Tawau the next morning.
I'm not sure about the Manado connection in this direction

Keep in mind that you cannot purchase domestic Indonesian plane tix independently from outside Indonesia. So for the flights from Makassar or Manado to Sorong you would have to rely on your liveaboard agent for Raja Ampat, or use a third party vendor like Indonesia Travel Agent Serves All Journey of Tourism Throughout Indonesia
- who would sell you the tickets ostensibly at cost plus a small commission but will charge you an unfavorable exchange rate...

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom