Easiest Wetsuit to Get On Dry and Wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeinLA

Contributor
Reaction score
So, the Pinnacle wetsuit that I ordered came, and I was shipping the women's size, not the men's. Called back, the men's size is no longer in stock. Back to the drawing board.

Probably a good thing b/c when I was looking at the suit, I realized that it probably wasn't the easiest thing to get into or out of, let alone taking off during surface intervals and putting back on while you and the suit are wet.

So, does anyone have any thoughts/comments on what's the EASIEST wetsuit to put on when both dry and wet?

Also, do certain suits (e.g., Henderson) dry fast enough so that when you're putting them on after the surface interval, they're already dry? Putting on a dry wetsuit is infinitely more pleasant than putting on a cold, clammy, and sticky wet wetsuit!

I'm planning to do a good deal of diving in the cold California waters: SoCal and Monterey. For a variety of different reasons (cost, maintenance (I'm lazy)), I'm not looking at dry suits.

Thanks in advance!

Pinnacle is definitely tough, I have a 7mm merino suit. I had longer zippers installed on the legs and added to the arms, because I have large forearms and calfs. All hyper stretch suits will be similar.

Remember that a tight fit is good for cold dives.

If anyone cares, I ended up choosing to go with a Henderson Gold Core John and a Pinnacle Escape Jacket (based on Leisure Pro sales).

From everything I read, the Gold Core dries really fast, is easy to put on, and keeps you warm. And Pinnacle is supposed to have an A+ reputation. I would have bought a Henderson Gold Core Jacket, but LP didn't have any.

Dry, the Henderson is SUPER EASY to put on. The Pinnacle less so. Also, I think the Pinnacle is a little tight, but I suppose that's a good thing. I'd say Pinnacle is a little smaller than sized.

I opted for the 2 piece for easier donning/removing. I just kept thinking about how much of a pain a wet wetsuit is to put on; ug! Hopefully it'll keep me warm.

I'm going to try to go diving this weekend. Hopefully this all works as hoped.

FIT. Firm and flexible.

I would imagine thermal property would far outweigh any perceived donning or doffing issues.

www.wetwear.com

The extended leg and arm zippers make it sooooo easy to don/doff. And the back zip is from left hip to right shoulder so it is longer than the average zipper giving you more shoulder wiggle room for getting it on and off.

And since it is custom made to your measurements, the fit is perfect. Fit is the key to warmth in any wetsuit.

I'm definitely making an assumption (based on reading a bunch of different threads) that, basically, the 2 peice and the 1 peice keep you warm (all other things being equal).

Definitely understand that fit is the most important element in warmth.

We'll find out if this all works! Hopefully tomorrow!

Also, the whole thing cost less than $200, so if i need something different, I won't feel too bad. Heck, I couldn't find a used wetsuit (of similar quality) for that price.

I'm looking to replace my old suit with the Aqualung SolAfx. When I tried this in a fitting room I was quite impressed with the ease of getting in and out of this suit.

Adam

I have a Solfx and it rocks-so warm! Going to try it on Vancouver Island next month so we will see if it holds up to the 40F water temp.
Joe, the water temp just came back up (63F surface-58F below 20 feet) so you should be fine.
Here is a thought on donning and doffing-don't take it off in between dives. You can also use a plastic bag over your feet or hands to help slide the wetsuit on. Good Luck and...
Get Wet!

Back
Top Bottom