Easiest Way to Dive 2 Separate Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with all the above the easiest way to dive 2 tanks is simply sling (stage) a second tank.

Not quite as elegant as sidemount, but simple and cheap.

Give some thought to gas management if you do this. My suggestion would be to start on the stage,breathe it down to around 1000psi, then switch to the regular back mounted tank. (Just in case the reg on the back mounted tank does not work for whatever reason)

What Sidemount rig to buy is the question. What type of tanks do you plan on using? Wetsuit or dry suit? Cold or warm water? I ask because if you are diving Al80's in the tropics then soothing like the SMS 50, UTD Zwing, or Dive Rite Nomad LT would work great. if you are diving dry with somei like Faber 85's those would work as well. if you are diving heavy steels you will want the lift from something like the SMS 100, The big UTD wing, the Manta Industries setup, or a larger Nomad.

That's been a real struggle to decide. In Bonaire, I dive 80 cf EAN aluminum tanks exclusively, because that's what's included in the unlimited shore diving package deals. No exposure protection except swim trunks & (around noon when the sun's strongest) a t-shirt. I had been using 24 lbs. lead, but on the recent trip dropped to 17 lbs. with no problems, and I think I could've dropped to 16 lbs.

In southwestern KY, I wear a 2 piece Farmer John style 5 mm wetsuit, and if I'm going past the 2'nd thermocline a hood and gloves. I have access to a 130 cf HP steel tank, and 2 85 cf LP steel tanks. I've been back-mounting the 130 & slinging an 85 locally. If I side-mount, I might pair the 85's to make things simple & even.

I suspect a Hollis SMS 50 would be good for Bonaire. Whether it would be good in the quarry with a pair of steel 85's is the question.

Richard.

Thanks for the info. Some followup:

Are these cam bands free of your BCD? Is there a product page pic I can see to visualize this?

Awap & Japan Diver:

In our local quarry, I've used the Dive Rite travel stage strap on an 85 cf steel tank to provide a redundant air source for an SDI solo course. By putting 7 lbs. weight in my right pocket and none on my left, yet clipping this on my left, I think I 'trim out' decently well and don't seem to roll. But that strap the bottom bolt snap is attached to tends to 'ride up' on me. If it rides up enough, it can come undone.

The reason I added 7 3/4" hose clamps (ordered off Amazon) was to put one down low and secure the bottom portion. One would probably do fine. It works! But it involves using a screw driver to tighten and loosen, and that bit more hassle. Diveable, though (& I loosen the clamp before I have the tank refilled).

I see Leisure Pro has the SMS 50 on sale at a really good price. What bugs me is that I've read with side-mount rigs there's considerable 'messing with' the system to individualize it so a diver trims out well. I'd like to take a side-mount course; been looking for someone locally.

Scuba127:

P.S.: DevonDiver posted while I was typing my reply. I'll have to take a look at that; thanks!

The bottom strap on the DR stage kits is the same as a tank strap you would find on most BC's- if it is riding up the buckle is not tight enough or is threaded wrong. I use these setups on a variety of tanks with no problem. Take a look at how you are rigging it and I think you will solve the problem without the need for the hose clamp and screwdriver

I made some very simple and effective tank harnesses here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sidemount-diving/422096-choker-clip-solutions.html

They dive extremely well with a slightly modified SMS100. All I added were rings on my SMS and 5 lbs of weight in weight pockets on each tank.

Here is a trip report where I used two AL80s on Liveaboard. It was awesome, and I would love to dive the same set up in Bonaire. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...-my-trip-rocio-del-mar.html?highlight=musings

Back
Top Bottom