easiest place to get your tag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our early years on Bonaire, we would be using wanna dive and just breeze in, pay our money, 5 minute chat and quick splash dive. No timelines, just show up, and check out.

2 years ago we went to belmar, the belnem buddy dive property. They only do orientation at 9am to get your tag. And it is 45 minutes of my life I will never get back as they try to sell you services before they let you get the tag. It is required for the tag (ie sitting through their sales pitch and before you are allowed to dive).

It was frustrating to fly a red eye and be at belmar by 730 am and then be stifled in a muggy office before I could dive by 10am. Annoying but not unbareable.

But now the red eye is gone so we will be back there saturday and arrive at 7pm. My eyes fly open at 530am (luckily my husband loves me in spite of this flaw). I don't want to wait almost 4 hours for the spiel to get my tag.

Is there anyone open around 8am to get the tag without a sales pitch? I understand the spiel...but go nuts for the enforced sales pitch (and of course waiting until 9am).
Shell

divi also does the orientation at 9:00, just after the morning boats go out at 8:30.

no sales pitch. just the standard "rules" with the extra "don't dive under the crusie ship" thrown in. takes about 15 minutes. can be shorter if all present indicate they are returning divers. we once arrived on a mid week day and where done in 5 minutes.

note: divi will take your money and give you your tag anytime. we normally pop in the office as soon as it opens, get our locker assignment, grab our tags, go have a slow breakfast and then wander over for the orientation.

It really depends on who you choose for your dive package. My impression is that the op that supplies the tanks does the orientation. Dive Friends has a pretty diver friendly orientation that is available anytime during their hours of operation.

I second the vote for Dive Friends Bonaire. Our group arrived in the afternoon in time for them to do the orientation before they closed for the day. They could have told us "sorry we're about to close--come back in the morning," but they took care of us. I suppose it depends on the circumstances of the day, and perhaps we were just fortunate to catch them when they had time. But of DFB, Buddy Dive and Belmar (affiliated with Buddy Dive), DFB had the most time-efficient orientation.

I'd pick Dive Friends just because of their multiple tank exchange locations. Most (all?) of which are drive-up. IDK about their orientation process though.

CONVENIENCE: Visit Yellow Submarine, Dive Inn, Port Bonaire, or Hamlet Oasis to pick up or drop off tanks and book a course or boat dive. We'll make your shore or boat diving as easy and convenient as possible by providing you with a Bonaire Marine Park orientation at any time or dive location during normal business hours.

Dive Friends @ Yellow Submarine
Dive Friends @ Port Bonaire
Dive Friends @ Hamlet Oasis
Dive Friends @ Dive Inn
Dive Friends @ Sand Dollar
Only Yellow Sub and Port Bonaire open at 8AM though, the others at 8:30.

I don't want to rat anyone out, but on our trip in December my buddy and I were simply handed our tags with our truck and room keys when we checked it to our hotel at 3:30 in the afternoon. "You guys look like you know what you're doing..."

I don't want to rat anyone out, but on our trip in December my buddy and I were simply handed our tags with our truck and room keys when we checked it to our hotel at 3:30 in the afternoon. "You guys look like you know what you're doing..."

Maybe I should get a drysuit and a NJ accent.

I'm not sure if this is the local rule, but the shop we use every year just makes us fill out the forms/pay and off we go. They do recommend a weight check/checkout dive. Is there a stinapa rule that says you don't have to take the class again if within 1 year since last taken?

Is there a stinapa rule that says you don't have to take the class again if within 1 year since last taken?

No. From the BMP Rules and Regulations (note the last sentence):
2. Orientation: All SCUBA divers must attend an orientation with their dive operator (the center from which air tanks are obtained) before diving in the BNMP. The orientation consists of a ‘dry’ part and a ‘wet’ part. The ‘dry’ part is a briefing on the Bonaire National Marine Park rules. The ‘wet’ part of the orientation is the check out dive, which is always supervised by the dive operation providing air. Repeat divers are required to attend a dive orientation and perform a check out dive every time they are back on island.

No. From the BMP Rules and Regulations (note the last sentence):
2. Orientation: All SCUBA divers must attend an orientation with their dive operator (the center from which air tanks are obtained) before diving in the BNMP. The orientation consists of a ‘dry’ part and a ‘wet’ part. The ‘dry’ part is a briefing on the Bonaire National Marine Park rules. The ‘wet’ part of the orientation is the check out dive, which is always supervised by the dive operation providing air. Repeat divers are required to attend a dive orientation and perform a check out dive every time they are back on island.

Ok, must be a courtesy for repeat customers by the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom