Ears - what to do next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had my share of ear infections over the past two years.

During the past year I have a three stage strategy

1. Squirt of Earol in each ear prior to the dive
2. I wear a mask with ear covers to keep them dry(ish)
3. Post dive treatment with 2/3 alcohol and 1/3 white vinegar

Touch wood, it has worked for me having had ear infections in Malaysia, the Philippines and Jordan during the last two years during dive holidays.

I'm suffering through this right now too. Middle Ear infection been on amox clav, prednisone, and decongestants. Both ears are clogged with my right being severly clogged. Not fun and ruining my dive plans!

Good luck!

I'm suffering through this right now too. Middle Ear infection been on amox clav, prednisone, and decongestants. Both ears are clogged with my right being severly clogged. Not fun and ruining my dive plans!

Good luck!
Was that from bad equalizing? It should be covered by your dive insurance, you know. :wink:

Good luck!

Geez, misery loves company! I hope you find a solution to your ear problems. If you do, let me know, and I'll do the same.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 04:44 PM ----------

Had my share of ear infections over the past two years.

During the past year I have a three stage strategy

1. Squirt of Earol in each ear prior to the dive
2. I wear a mask with ear covers to keep them dry(ish)
3. Post dive treatment with 2/3 alcohol and 1/3 white vinegar

Touch wood, it has worked for me having had ear infections in Malaysia, the Philippines and Jordan during the last two years during dive holidays.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if Earol is available in the States?

Thanks for the information. Do you know if Earol is available in the States?

Sorry no idea, I bought mine online through Amazon in the UK and I also picked up another bottle of it in a dive shop in Edinburgh when I was home on holiday last year.

A quick Google search should help, however it is basically a mix of olive oil and tea tree oil, I am sure a home made version could easily be manufactured

Thanks, Searcaigh. I looked on Amazon and found product by Earol but not the same as what you mentioned. I'll have to keep looking.

To all who have been so kind to give me advice: Good news...today my right ear has started to unplug! Neither ear is back to normal; however, I'm so happy to be making progress. I do have an appointment with an ENT next Thursday and will keep it if my ears are still plugged. I'm still on antibiotics, Flonase (got it right this time DD!), sinus rinse, and Muscinex D....will keep doing what my dr. suggested until the antibiotics are gone.

Thanks, again, to everyone who gave helpful replies!

IMO you should still see the ENT even if you believe your ear feels better.

I got barotrauma badly in both ears end of March, got two ear infections in 3 weeks, and during the second ear infection - my hearing became badly muffled. My Doctor set up an appointment with an ENT, but I would have to wait 2 months for the appointment. So someone told me to go for "Cranial Osteopathy" and I did - and after two weeks of muffled hearing, the Osteopath cleared my ears in an hour and a half! I HIGHLY recommend! Good luck - I know how it feels :(

The end of the story: I saw an ENT on Thursday. He checked my ears and could still see some fluid behind the right ear. It's still a bit plugged but certainly much better than last week. I finished my antibiotics on Thursday and my bronchitis, cough, and congestion are pretty much gone. The ENT said that it'd take another couple of weeks for my right ear to get back to normal; however, he gave me a prescription for another round of steroids if my hearing doesn't improve within another 5 or 6 days. I'm not so sure I'd take the steroids again unless I saw another ENT who specializes in diving medicine. This ENT not only didn't specialize in diving medicine (I knew this going in....it's who my primary doc wanted me to see), he didn't specialize in ear problems. His specialty is the "N" in ENT....nose. My primary doc was more concerned about my sinuses than my ears. Oh well, like I said, I feel like I'm progressing in getting back to normal (whatever that is :D) and pray that my ears are good for my next diving trip in eight weeks.

Thanks for the follow up! It can take quite a while for middle ear effusion to resolve...

Dive safe!

M

Back
Top Bottom