Ears, nose, throat, sinus, etc... (ie, I've got issues)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctormike -

So here is the latest (complete with CT scan - as captured on my cell phone). Tell me what you see (if you can make it out) and I'll tell you what the Doc here said.

Well, we are really not supposed to suggest specific management over the forum, and the image is a bit to blurry for a close reading to check all of the specifics about the eye, etc... but it does look like there is a good bit of chronic sinus disease in the ethmoid sinuses, some retention cysts or polyps in the maxillary sinuses, a little disease in the frontal and sphenoid sinuses (which are otherwise pretty well aerated), and a deviated septum. Not sure if something is going on in the left orbit (that's one of the more blurry cuts!).

Did they recommend surgery?

at she's only offering that opening to me. I told her that I was thinking of going to Ontario that same day. But, I relented and said, ok, I'll have those tubes put in. But now, I'm thinking of cancelling that surgery. What would happen if I called the day before I get those tubes put in my ears, and told her secratary that I'm not geting those tubes put in my ears at the last minute? Would I get get a real bad ear infection? And, I'm wondering if I should cancel that surgery. Should I cancel it?" SnorkelCorey

Nobody here knows what you should do (or even what your complaint is/was), however if you're concerned about whether or not you need surgery, get a second opinion from another doctor.

Terry

OK, everybody, don't worry. I'm not seeking medical advice from random strangers online... I just thought you might be interested. (Or might suggest questions to ask my doctor... etc). BTW - The explanation of the initial problem was the message that started this thread. I guess the other purpose of these posts to help other people who are curious as to whether seeing an ENT is a good idea for them. (My vote so far is that is a good idea!)

Actually, while on the subject, this site ( Sinus CT Scan, Sinusitis - W. S. Tichenor, M. D. ) pretty much gave me a rundown on what I'm looking at in the pics - and it jives with what the doctor said.

Anyway, as we've guessed, I've definitely got issues. Surgery is the way to fix things (both polyp removal and fixing the deviated septum), but as the doc said to me, its not a life and death situation. I can breath and actually would not have ever gone to a doctor if not for the occasional trouble in my ear when flying or diving. He said I probably don't even realize how much better I could be breathing since I'm used to the way things are - but that if I'm comfortable then its not an urgent thing.

Anyway - I've got a full summer of diving planned, so we decided I'd just see how things go and let him know in a few months if I want to do anything else yet.

Truth is - I've pretty much got the flying issue resolved now (by experimenting with equalization techniques and over the counter drugs), and the diving is hit-or-miss but has never been bad enough to make me abort a dive.

Just thought you'd like and update. I'm also planning to try doc's proplugs and see if they help me at all.

If anyone is still interested in ear/nose/throat saga... I did a couple dives this weekend and tried out Doc's Proplugs. I equalized easier than I ever have before. Now, I know it could be coincidence or maybe I'm just getting better at it finally, but all things considered my first trial with them was very favorable. The equalization process was much more gradual and I was able to get down much faster. I was still one of the slower people in my group perhaps, but not by much, I was able to make steady progress, equalizing as I went. This was with proplugs and a hood. My next dives are planned for warm water, I guess that will let me test how well they stay in without the hood.

Anyway, if any of you have been considering giving the pro plugs a try - I'd say go for it. There were no new problems as a result of using them and it appears so far that they actually helped a lot.

I did a few more dives with proplugs. This time I was in warm water (bahamas!). They worked great once again. I recommend them to anyone having equalization problems.

I don't know if anybody is still watching this thread but thought I'd post an update as a "hang in there" message for any new divers still figuring out their ears. Despite my concerns of a year or two ago, my ears actually equalize quite well now. I think this is largely just due to practice, but regular sinus rinse keeps me in pretty good shape on land these days too.

Good to hear you solved your problems, and thank you for coming back and letting us know!

I've had a couple of tooth implants that required breaking through the bone into a sinus cavity, and I want to know if that will impact my diving (now that it has healed over).

Back
Top Bottom