Ears care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it is and it’s easier on you than isopropyl! At least for those I’ve been around that tried it!

SD

Sounds interesting. Willing to give it a try. OTOH I’d hate to have the Captain boot me off the boat for smelling like a drunk!

Ethanol is a less irritating to the skin than an equal concentration of isopropyl - in my experience - so I bet ever clear is a better choice.

Dano's oil mix should be less irritating than anything alcohol-based. Especially if you have a slight barotrauma in there.

Honestly, I can't understand why preparing your own ear beer (that can be potentially dangerous -relatively-), when for few $ you can buy in the pharmacy...

Honestly, I can't understand why preparing your own ear beer (that can be potentially dangerous -relatively-), when for few $ you can buy in the pharmacy...

Which pharmacy? How?

@rabe - I can make about 500ml of custom ear-beer (better formulation too) for about $5.00. Oz version is $5 for 40ml.

And FTR, it’s not available here. They removed OTC appropriate Otic meds from the shelves a while ago in the US. Not sure why.

unless you're working in a lab, where you can have access to pure and high grade materials, still, saving few $ and squirt in your ear canal something that could make everything worse, is not worth...
it's the word "custom" that in this case is wrong, imho

unless you're working in a lab, where you can have access to pure and high grade materials, still, saving few $ and squirt in your ear canal something that could make everything worse, is not worth...
it's the word "custom" that in this case is wrong, imho

That is so funny. Mixing alcohol and vinegar is hardly within the exclusive bailiwick of an experienced chemist. There are no chemical reactions nor is an imbalance of either chemical likely to result in an explosion or ruin your hearing. If the idea of adding a few teaspoons of vinegar to a bottle of alcohol represents a major intellectual challenge and makes you shake with fear, I would stay out of the water altogether. Scary things on the reef and all that...

I agree with tridacna. You are just dripping the stuff into your external ear canal, not giving it IV. As long as the ear drum is intact, no significant risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom