Ears care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone explain what the ear beer is exactly? Never heard before...

Ear beer" has to do two things - you want to dry the ear (alcohol) and you want to drop the pH (vinegar). The most common ear bacteria (Pseudomonas) doesn't do well in acidic environments.

So you don't need a lot of vinegar, since all you need to do is drop the pH, but vinegar is mostly water, so using a lot of it keeps the ear wet. I tell people to get a pint bottle of rubbing alcohol, pour out a few tablespoons and replace them with vinegar, and if you have some glycerin, a few drops of that can keep your ears from getting over dried.

Oh, ok, it was just a case of lingo.
Thanks!

Revamping this thread. Earlier this year I experienced my first ear infection on a liveaboard...not very fun. Last week I spent a few more days diving and decided to try ear beer to prevent a repeat performance. I used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and 91% isopropyl alcohol each night for 3 days - put a few drops in my ear and waited ~5mins before draining. The first two days were fine, but on the third day both of my ears started hurting a few minutes afterwards. They had a painful throbbing sensation and seemed almost stuffy/unequalized. It went away after a few hours, but has made me pretty wary of continuing to use the ear beer.

Any thoughts on what caused this or how I should adjust the solution moving forward?

FWIW I could never use alcohol drops, they almost always hurt. That is, unless there's so little alcohol it wouldn't actually do anything.

Revamping this thread. Earlier this year I experienced my first ear infection on a liveaboard...not very fun. Last week I spent a few more days diving and decided to try ear beer to prevent a repeat performance. I used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and 91% isopropyl alcohol each night for 3 days - put a few drops in my ear and waited ~5mins before draining. The first two days were fine, but on the third day both of my ears started hurting a few minutes afterwards. They had a painful throbbing sensation and seemed almost stuffy/unequalized. It went away after a few hours, but has made me pretty wary of continuing to use the ear beer.

Any thoughts on what caused this or how I should adjust the solution moving forward?

Your formula is worng. You're using too much vinegar. Get some glycerin too.

Formula by @doctormike

"Ear beer" has to do two things - you want to dry the ear (alcohol) and you want to drop the pH (vinegar). The most common ear bacteria (Pseudomonas) doesn't do well in acidic environments.

So you don't need a lot of vinegar, since all you need to do is drop the pH, but vinegar is mostly water, so using a lot of it keeps the ear wet. I tell people to get a pint bottle of rubbing alcohol, pour out a few tablespoons and replace them with vinegar, and if you have some glycerin, a few drops of that can keep your ears from getting over dried.

Rubbing/isopropyl alcohol reacts negatively in my ears!

Years ago I switched to EverClear/Vinegar mix with better results. I’m probably at a 80/20 ish mix rather than a 50/50 because I only need enough vinegar to change the PH, but anywhere between is likely very workable!

SD

Rubbing/isopropyl alcohol reacts negatively in my ears!

Years ago I switched to EverClear/Vinegar mix with better results. I’m probably at a 80/20 ish mix rather than a 50/50 because I only need enough vinegar to change the PH, but anywhere between is likely very workable!

SD

Isn’t Everclear just grain alcohol? Curious...easier on ears?

Here is a product which is used before exposure to water. It helps protect the external ear.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Ear-Shield-Water-Repellent-Ear-Spray-p/wres.htm

WRES-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom