Earrings in the Ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Another question that I suppose guys might know the answer to but I'd rather ask here: should I wear earrings when diving/snorkelling/swimming in the ocean to keep my piercings from sealing up? Wouldn't this take multiple prolonged exposures to saltwater? None of these are new piercings and the other day when I got out of the water two of my earrings came flying off and landed in the dirt when I took off my mask. Now my ear lobes are being all gross and I'm not sure if it was the dirt or the water since more than those two piercings seem to be effected. Normally I can leave my earrings out for months before they start sealing on me. Ideas?

I usually dive with a hood (dive in Puget Sound - cold water)and I usually remove mine. The hood sometimes pulls the earrings, not fun.
When diving hoodless I ALWAYS remove mine. I would hate to have a fish make a dash for my ear thinking it was lunch. I would hate to lose an earring while diving.
Salt water is very harsh on things. I have dove with a braclet on before and it has never been the same.
So my advice.. would be to remove all jewlery that you really want to keep. I can't imagine your piercings sealing up after a few hours.

gis_gal:
I usually dive with a hood (dive in Puget Sound - cold water)and I usually remove mine. The hood sometimes pulls the earrings, not fun.
When diving hoodless I ALWAYS remove mine. I would hate to have a fish make a dash for my ear thinking it was lunch. I would hate to lose an earring while diving.
Salt water is very harsh on things. I have dove with a braclet on before and it has never been the same.
So my advice.. would be to remove all jewlery that you really want to keep. I can't imagine your piercings sealing up after a few hours.

Even though I am a guy and this is the womans forum ( didn't pay attention to that earlier) I am going to post MHO. I don't see how a piercing could close in just a few hours even in sea salt. Personally, no ear rings for the above mentioned reasons.

First of all, it's unlikely that your piercings would close after only a few hours without rings. That being said, there's nothing wrong with wearing a stud instead of something dangly.

I wear a small diamond stud when I dive, and after lots of dives with reef fish swarming all over me, I've never had any incidents. Had them grab loose hair a time or two, but that's about the extent of it.

A few species are a bit troublesome. I've had friends tell all sorts of tales about trigger fish and ears, but I've dived many, many times with them and never had a problem. Same with bream in fresh water.

Bottom line - dangly things can catch in your gear. Avoid that, and you can wear your piercings.

Safe ascents,
Grier

I usually wear studs. However, if I'm not wearing earrings I may not think to put them back in for like a week, how would saltwater effect my piercings in this sort of scenerio? For some odd reason, probably misinformation, I remember being always told as a kid to wear my earrings even if I was going to be sitting on the beach exposed to salt air etc.

THIS kind of piercings might alter your trim... :11:

Where did all these men come from?! :11: :eyebrow: :)

The gross holes probably an irritation from the yanking out. Daub a smidge of Neosporin on Gold or stainless steel post or hoop and put it. Keep twisting every time you remember to break up the tissue juice clotting and add more Neosporin if it doesn’t clear up in a day until it does. If diving before healed, remove for dive fine, won’t close, but maybe a bit of tissue juice clotting and just poke thru it.
I wear a small hoop always, just me. Take them out if you don’t want to risk losing them. Agree no big dangle or fussy stuff to snag on things.

For all the previously mentioned health and safety reasons, it is best to remove earrings while diving. I have been forgetful on many occassions and lost many earrings (caught on hoods, mask straps etc.

A small plastic case in your dry bag is very useful for keeping jewellry dry and safe. Even better, leave jewellery at home or at the hotel.

I didn't think piercings sealed up quickly unless they were new.

Gids-
Buy some heavy gauge fishing line and thread it through after you take out the jewelry. The tie it off (not as easy as you think). This will keep it open, will not be "flashy" to little nibblers in the ocean, and shouldn't catch on anything or be painful. Do this before you head out on the boat, though. It could take some practice, a mirror, and a controlled environment. I can safely say it helps a lot for navel piercings if your wet suit bothers them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom