Early reports of National Geographic diver killed in Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The photograph in the article is really badly chosen.

This is apparently used as evidence in a murder trial in Australia where a husband allegedly killed his wife.

Google australian dive murder (I can't post URL's it seems)

The picture as referenced above was a poorly selected "archive photo" of an unrelated situation.

Here is a mash-up of two articles on Carl Spencer's death:

Published: 5/24/09, 6:47 PM EDT
By DEMETRIS NELLAS
ATHENS, Greece (AP) - A member of a National Geographic team exploring the wreckage of Britannic, the Titanic's sister ship, in the Aegean Sea died of decompression sickness Sunday, the Merchant Marine Ministry said.

Carl Spencer, 37, was rushed to the Athens Naval Hospital in the afternoon after diving to film the wreckage of the Britannic, four miles (6 kilometers) off the island of Kea, southeast of Athens, the ministry said.

Spencer, who showed symptoms of the illness widely known as "the bends," had been aboard the Belgian-owned research vessel CDT Fourcault. He was flown to the hospital by helicopter but was unconscious upon arrival.

His team was to spend nine days doing an internal and external analysis of the wreckage.

Carl Spencer, 37 is believed to have died from decompression sickness - the bends - according to the country's merchant marine ministry.
The man, who has not been named, was part of a 17-member crew commissioned by the magazine to film the wreck of HMHS Britannic.

The British World War I hospital ship, and sister ship of the Titanic, sank off the Greek Aegean island of Kea in 1916 after hitting a mine, with the loss of 30 lives.

"A Super Puma rescue helicopter was dispatched to collect the diver who was unconscious with decompression sickness symptoms," a ministry spokeswoman said.

"He did not regain consciousness and was pronounced dead on arrival at the Athens Navy hospital."

The National Geographic team had secured permission to film the wreck of the Britannic from May 19 to 31, she added.
No one from National Geographic was available to immediate comment.

Spencer had led a similar expedition to the Britannic in 2003.

The technical diver also had taken part in an exploration of the Titanic wreckage as part of a Discovery Channel expedition led by filmmaker James Cameron, who directed the 1997 blockbuster "Titanic."

Following the sinking of the Titanic in April 1912, the hull of the 53,000-ton Britannic was redesigned and it was launched on Feb. 26, 1914.
It was never used as a commercial trans-Atlantic liner because of World War I. It was requisitioned as a hospital ship in November 1915 and sent to the Middle East and Aegean fronts.

On its sixth trip, on its way to pick up wounded soldiers from the disastrous Gallipoli campaign, it was sunk on Nov. 21, 1916. Of the 1,066 passengers aboard, 30 died.

For years, the cause of Britannic's sinking - whether by a torpedo or a mine - was unclear.

Spencer's 2003 expedition provided conclusive evidence of a single mine blast.

The following statement was posted on the Rebreather World Forum this morning at 09.26.

It is with great sadness and loss that we have to report the death of Carl Spencer on Sunday 25th May whilst diving the Britannic

As with any fatality we respectfully ask that speculation of the events are left to the relevant parties until all the facts are known and understood

A full statement will be released once all the information has been processed as to what happened during his dive

Naturally we are all upset at this huge loss as Carl was a personal friend to all of the team members on board the ship, and all our thoughts are with his family at what must be an unbearable time for them

Rich Stevenson and Leigh Bishop

Back
Top Bottom