Early June Galapagos liveaboard - expected air temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I see plenty of discussion of water temps and we are hopefully well prepared for that

More curious about "typical" air temps in the first half of June.....?

Most web-sites and liveaboard pre-info say something like this = "the cooler months are June through November, when the air temperatures range from 65°F (evening) to 85°F (day)". I am planning to bring to being my usual liveaboard wardrobe of a few bathing suits, a few t-shirts, a pair of sweat pants, a fleece pullover and a raincoat....since even if it's 85F above water....cold water makes you cold :)

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

Chris

Hi Chris

I went the first week of June on Galapagos Sky and took very similar to what you have mentioned, from memory not sure I ever wore anything but a T shirt and shorts above water all week, warm showers on the dive deck afterwards soon help warm you up if you are chilly.
Dived in a 6.5mm semi dry and a thin hood, I was warm and toasty for every dive except the dives at Punta Vincente Roca which is known for cold thermoclines

Cheers Graham

Hi! Good to know what to bring... I'm looking to do only my second liveaboard in the Galapagos.

I was looking at the Humbolt Explorer here Humboldt Explorer - Galapagos Liveaboard but now that you mention the Galapagos Sky, I'll definitely have a closer look at it. Colder diving is not really my thing but the Galapagos seems too amazing to miss them on my trip to Peru and Ecuador so I want to make sure I'm on a boat with great installations to feel cozy the entire journey. Any other advice than to bring warmer clothing in case it's chilly?

If anyone has been on the Humbolt, I'm taking all the reviews :) I also saw an ad on this forum for the Majestic Explorer, which I will look for as the boat seems amazing but haven't found many reviews that are from divers about it.

Thank you!

I spent a week in Galapagos diving on Humboldt Explorer in Sep 2017. Warm showers on the deck and hot beverages do help to warm up after dives. I was diving in 5mm wetsuit /gloves/boots + 7mm hood. Most were diving with 5-7mm wetsuits and only few with dry-suits.
I was wearing shorts/t-shirt during the day and pants/sweater in the evening if I was outside on the deck.
I would recommend to bring an extra under layer if you have one so you can put it under your wetsuit if it gets colder. Usually I was getting chilly on 4th daily dive.
I regretted not taking my 3mm sleeveless wetsuit shorty.

It was great experience and i enjoyed it a lot. DMs and crew were amazing. However it was my first live-aboard so I can't compare to others.

The main thing to consider is itineraries and what you want to see. Humboldt Explorer has an extra day up at Wolf / Darwin where as some of the other boats such as Galapagos Sky pick up other dives site such as the Marine Iguanas

For me it is was such a signature dive / experience I had to do the Iguanas

It’s around equator so, the air temperature will be warm all year (no matter where you are in the world). However the Galápagos water is cold due to the unique Humboldt current.

The main thing to consider is itineraries and what you want to see. Humboldt Explorer has an extra day up at Wolf / Darwin where as some of the other boats such as Galapagos Sky pick up other dives site such as the Marine Iguanas

For me it is was such a signature dive / experience I had to do the Iguanas
I did the Galapagos on the Aggressor April 26-May 2. The diversity of the itinerary was a real plus. We saw the penguins while visiting Bartolome Island. Most of the Mantas were at Cabo Marshall, Isabella Island, along with many hammerheads. Wolf and Darwin had many hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, sea lions, and we had 3 Whale Sharks at Darwin, even though it was early in their season. The Marine Iguanas were at Cabo Douglas and the Mola Molas were at Punta Vicente Roca, both off Isabella. The water off Isabella was in the low to mid 60s. We had Eagle and Mobula Rays off Cousin's Rock.
upload_2018-5-31_16-0-15.png

upload_2018-5-31_16-0-53.png

upload_2018-5-31_16-1-18.png

We were cold. Never saw the sun on the deck during our week. Not complaining the diving was awesome, but I ended up wearing a hoodie and sweatpants most of the time on the boat. Did wear shorts and t-shirts hiking around, but never had the sweatshirt far away. We were there in June.

Based on comments I've seen here and elsewhere, like any trip on a boat in colder water...it really seems to vary even during the same time of year. If the sun's not out and the wind is blowing across miles of colder water....it will be cool

I've heard the sweatshirt/sweats/no sun story a few times. I traded FB messages yesterday with someone who just got off the Galapagos Master yesterday.....his quotes on air temps:

"Mid 70’s at night. Mid 80’s during the day.

I wore a light jacket for the land tours.

During the day the sun is intense so shorts would be fine on the boat"

To answer my own question...

I was on the Galapagos Sky June 3-10. Fantastic trip.

Water temps varied from 81F at Wolf and Darwin to the low 60sF at some of the southern sites. My buddy and I wore 7mm suits and lavacore shorts/vests at the colder sites - seemed to be the right choice for us. Certainly we could have worn lighter suits at the northern sites, but you are doing so much clutching, grabbing and hugging barnicle-covered rocks to brace against the current that having the thicker suits worked well.

Air temps were comfortable - I would say high 70s/low 80sF most of the time. I brought a pair of light sweat pants and a fleece top, but never wore either of them. Even on the gloomy days, temps were comfortable for t-shirt and shorts. Despite the fact that we crossed the equator 4x while on the boat, I thought the cooler water might bring cooler air temps - this was not the case.

Diving was fantastic, particularly at Wolf and Darwin. All the things you hope to see in the Galapagos, we saw = 6 different whale shark encounters up close and personal, large schools of hammerheads, the playful sea lions, a killer whale on the surface, large schools of dolphins, mantas, marine iguanas, etc., etc. Galapagos Sky is a great boat with a great crew - I would definitely recommend it.

DSC_0088-XL.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom