Early 1960s outfit almost complete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam if he intends to use it, replacing the tubing is almost a must. The majority of them I see are so clouded or dirty that they are pretty much useless. Cleaning does little to no good. Replacing the tubing is simple, cheap and as long as he keeps the original tubing, it can be restored to original in a few seconds. I do agree that he should not paint the face, odds are it will be fine once he gets the replacement tubing installed.

Nice rig, very nice. As to the capillary gauge, good luck. I have never had one of any sort at any time, ever, that actually worked. The tubes usually flooded out in mine and had more than one bubble. That is OK though, you can be at more than one depth at a time, pick the one you like best.

N

I personally like capillary depth gauges for shallow dives or during deco dives. They are the most precise at depth shallower than 30 ft. I was impressed a few years back, that in my deco procedure book it referred to capillary depth gauges. No one else in class new what the book was talking about. I own several of the SOS/ Scubapro units and several others that are built into pressure gauges or oil filled depth gauge.

I don’t understand why you would not replace the tubing. The tubing that I got from Herman is a perfect replacement.

IMHO, reusing the old tubing is kind of like reusing old O-rings or other old rubber parts. If you are not going to dive it sure, but if you are going to dive it makes no sense to try to salvage old tubing or other rubber parts (when there is perfect replacements).

Actually, even if you are just going to restore it for show and tell, replacing the tubing makes sense because it brings it back to the original look, functionality, and original condition.

The original material of the tubing was clear synthetic rubber and it deteriorates and get cloudy. There is no way to restore the old rubber.
We already had a discussion once about trying to restore rubber parts… please, let’s not go there again.

Some tubing’s may actually have been more of a semi rigid plastic material. Those actually have a tendency to get brittle and crack.

Note: the tubing in this particular Scubapro/ SOS capillarity gauge is synthetic clear rubber. I have replaced several.

Last edited:
I have three, NIB (as in new with box and papers), AL/USD vintage compass/capillary depth gauges. They are wrist watch type, pretty cool. Will entertain offers. N

There is the new Pacifica and the original Pacifica. The original Pacifica was the one used in the 60's, the new came out I believe in the late 70's and is a somewhat different mask. The original was a true elongated oval not slightly 4 cornered like the new one. I have an original in good shape. Item C page 16 in the USD 1968 catalog.

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/Vi...s Catalogs\Aqualung1968.pdf&MP=&FI=&VT=F&RT=N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom