Early 1960s outfit almost complete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s not a high volume mask; it’s my alternate air supply! :wink:

Probably the largest mask I ever tried was that Nimrod 3-window. Now that was a beast, but it had the same style nose pincher. Ridicule me if you must but I loved that Voit mask. The seal lip stated to rot and I tried to glue wetsuit material over it… didn’t work. :shakehead:

I still use an identical mask to the high volume one I bought in 1980. Those masks were comfortable and virtually identical ones are available from joediveamerica (JoeDiver's Classic Round Snorkel Mask - Dive Mask in Clear Silicone or Black Rubber - JoeDiverAmerica.com ). Not quite the buckets you are talking about, but a classic style.

I am not sure about that particular round mask but many of the current crop are sized for Asian fasces, nothing wrong with that but unfortunately, I am Caucasian (I think) and my nose runs into the glass before it seals. I have owned many round/oval masks including those from Dacor, USD, Healthways and others but they were larger and deeper than the cheapo imports of today and the glass is canted upward in the skirt in them to clear the nose. This is why nose pockets were developed to allow the glass to sit closer to the eyes and improve FOV.

N

I am 6'7" with what politely described as a roman nose. If a mask fits me,worst case, it will be too wide and deep for others. Very modern masks seldom fit me.

It's the best I've found for the time being, and the backpack was free. We had a customer trade in a 40s aviation O2 bottle with a top-turn k-valve. It's on a nemrod THIN plastic backpaak, but it's attached via some stainless worm drive rings. I wouldn't have a way to secure my J-valve rod.

Do you remember Popular Science's or Family Workshop's WORDLESS WORKSHOP?

I thought the same thing! Except I was like "But I don't have a way to weld stainless..."

Then I realized, oh wait, worm drive clamps. I can just clamp something there. I guess I'll pick up that nemrod backpack this week if I remember.

What harness, :) (no fair posting that photo Allan, you know I can't make any rude crude comments )

FYI Richard, she is a friend of both Allans and myself, super nice lady.

If you have the same Nemrod I have - thin plastic with a metal hose clamp, the slot in mine was wide enough to thread a standard cam band into it. I used it with my DH for years. I bought a yellow nylon ATV tow strap from Northen Tools for the harness. Works well and is softer than normal weight belt material.
View attachment 143767View attachment 143768

Nice idea with the straps. I guess I'll have to do a harbor freight run! The nylon straps on that backpack are pretty stiff.

I prefer always NASO mask La Spirotechnique even deep diving . NASO face mask that fits best.

I've been using one of the Squale masks from VDH this past year. Very soft skirt and very comfortable. It doesn't have a nose pocket but I sniff gently and it seals up to clear the ears. Reminds me a lot (when I can remember anything) of a yellow one I had back in the late 60's that was similar.

Ta'da!

vintage002_zps36a0d9ca.jpg

vintage003_zps036147f8.jpg

I found the old SOS capillary depth gauge lurking in our warehouse. I'm going to paint some glow-in-the-dark paint behind the tube so I can read it easier in low light conditions. I am also going to see about replacing the tube...though it's a little tough to find tygon tubing that thin.

Other things to do:
New harness straps for the old Nemrod flat backpack
J-valve holder to slip into the worm drive clamps

It's not hard to find tubing that thin....you just need to know who to ask. :)
shoot me a PM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom