Early 1960s outfit almost complete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I wish I could do pictures but I can't find my camera.

1961 DA Aquamaster w/ yellow hoses, curved mouthpiece (not exactly period correct, sue me!)
Hookah adapter to 90 degree swivel, Conshelf XI "octo" tucked into my harness belt
70s/80s plastic Aqualung backpack

I felt silly wearing my Deep See Clarity with this setup, so I picked up a new Pacifica! This is the first time I've ever used a purge mask. It's an interesting feature, and required for the HUGE volume of the mask. I have to use both index fingers or my thumbs to pinch my nose...luckily, my ears usually automatically equalize themselves.

Aqua_Lung_Pacifica.jpg

The mask is getting sent off tomorrow to receive some oh so necessary inserts for my -4.0/-4.0 prescription.

Next on the list : yellow cotton harness with camlock straps (to take with when I travel)

One of Allans' harnesses? Those work well but you will get some stange looks..I do so love them. :)
If the backpack you have is one of the blow plastic ones that are an inch or so thick, they do not work well with DH regs. They are too thick and keep the tank too far off your back. Most of them will not allow you to place the tank low enough for proper DH placement. The single thickness, 1/4 inch or so thick ones like the Voit snug pack or USD KAM EZ are much better suited for DH use. They can both be easily modified to accept AL-80 and are very comfortable to boot.

One of Allans' harnesses? Those work well but you will get some stange looks..I do so love them. :)
If the backpack you have is one of the blow plastic ones that are an inch or so thick, they do not work well with DH regs. They are too thick and keep the tank too far off your back. Most of them will not allow you to place the tank low enough for proper DH placement. The single thickness, 1/4 inch or so thick ones like the Voit snug pack or USD KAM EZ are much better suited for DH use. They can both be easily modified to accept AL-80 and are very comfortable to boot.

Yes and yes!

It's the best I've found for the time being, and the backpack was free. We had a customer trade in a 40s aviation O2 bottle with a top-turn k-valve. It's on a nemrod THIN plastic backpaak, but it's attached via some stainless worm drive rings. I wouldn't have a way to secure my J-valve rod.

Somehow I think the looks are not strange, they may just be X rated!!:D
Travelharness3-1.jpg

That's the harness! Except I want yellow.

And you won't pry me away from my AL 3mm Quantum Stretch + 3mm AL Superzip Ergo boots. I got the wetsuit as black/black, so it kinda blends.

It's the best I've found for the time being, and the backpack was free. We had a customer trade in a 40s aviation O2 bottle with a top-turn k-valve. It's on a nemrod THIN plastic backpaak, but it's attached via some stainless worm drive rings. I wouldn't have a way to secure my J-valve rod.

Do you remember Popular Science's or Family Workshop's WORDLESS WORKSHOP?

jrodholder.jpg

What harness, :) (no fair posting that photo Allan, you know I can't make any rude crude comments )

FYI Richard, she is a friend of both Allans and myself, super nice lady.

If you have the same Nemrod I have - thin plastic with a metal hose clamp, the slot in mine was wide enough to thread a standard cam band into it. I used it with my DH for years. I bought a yellow nylon ATV tow strap from Northen Tools for the harness. Works well and is softer than normal weight belt material.
normal_P7300042.jpgnormal_P7300046.jpg

I have the cousin to the Pacifica, the Atlantic or some such. It does not have the purge. The mask is so big I need to reset my trim with it. it is like wearing a bucket. I rarely use it, tends to leak and float off my face unless I cinch it way down and the web then slips back loose. But it is fun, at least at first. i consider it my late 60s rig, correct for 1966 to 1970 when very few people still used the military harness, most using the thin plastic plates like the Snug Pack and the Cam Eze.

N

Actually this mask or its other version, the Atlantic, work very nicely. If you are comfortable with modern, low volume masks, you will find this one and many of the 1960 or so period to be unusually large with the resultant volume issues. But, this was the mask of the day.

allanatbluespring_zps3781a664.jpg

Photo by Haas Photography, Inc., at Blue Spring, FL, Sand Dog II

This is the only image I have from my first rig purchased in 1962. Wish I could still get the version of this mask without the purge.

Attachments

• Carmel Bay 1963.jpg
    Carmel Bay 1963.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 469
I think I may have you beat in the volume department. This is a "Pan to Scope" curved lens mask that doubles as a water bucket. The darned thing is, it fits so well, it's become one of my more favorite vintage masks.

dh delta grove 3.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom