Ear Trauma at 15 metres = Never Dive Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gert, thanks so much for the detailed response and for the photos in your previous post. That's good info.

My thanks to Gert.

I got the pro ear mask. I started out with the vented plug in the ear with the pin hole just in case. It took some getting used to since I don't normally to exhale into the mask, but I got it worked out. I usually nose pinch while holding the earplug in place going straight down. A little fogging, but face down minor flooding with a swish, then face up clear, solves the problem. Once I got the technique, I took out the plug and inserted a small dry cotton ball into the ear canal and carefully descended - ascended several times to 25ft. Dry cotton ball.

Looks like that is going to work for me. It takes a little longer going down, mostly because I was overly cautious, but no nosing. Just pushing on the top of the frame and occasionally exhaling into the mask cleared both ears. You must be clean shaven for a good mask fit and the ear cups work/fit well inside the hairline. Now on to the prescription lenses. I will still use the earplugs in case I have to go to a backup mask.

aussie82, thanks for serving. My son was in Iraq about the same time! His ears were probably shot from learning to hunt as a young boy.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Fred Fitz,

First, I hope you will recover from this and be able to dive again in the future, just give yourself the time to get through this and heal.

About five years ago on a very easy dive in GCM, I heard a pop and muffled sound upon a casual descent from 70-80 feet. I completed that dive and decided not to do the second dive as I didn't feel 100% on the boat. Note I was not having any issue clearing my ears on the dive. On the surface I noted some hearing loss. I contacted DAN (a must have for any diver) and they advised to see an ENT. My ENT upon examination said there was much fluid/blood behind my eardrum and a possible PLF. The ENT placed a tube in my ear to drain it as I had to travel the following week for business. The hearing loss was what bothered me most and gave me a new appreciation to all those that have hearing problems. My ENT advised not diving unless 20-30 ft, I said you mean only snorkeling then??? Bummer.

The goods news is I was very lucky, I've healed and my hearing has come back to about 98% with some ringing in the ears. Which as others have stated is present when it is very quiet and you learn to live with it. More importantly, I am diving again this year, 15 dives with no issues! Cayman and Cozumel. This go round I will shy away from deep dives >80ft and only dive when I feel 100% healthy. Still so much to enjoy under the sea.

Best of luck and hope this helps to encourage you!

Thought I'd update this post with y'all. My recovery seems complete as recently I was able to do some wall dives in Grand Cayman last month (August) diving 106 to 110' with no issues. Just sharing that with proper healing and listening to your body perhaps you too can be back into full-on diving... :)

Attached is a recent photo of mine from a wall dive that was posted this week in Cayman Compass, so glad to be able to enjoy these gifts again: cayCompass.com :: Photo Gallery

LemonWall NorthWall.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom