Ear Problems....again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I am not a physician, and you probly should consult one, but my dive bud uses all the tricks he could learn from the video plus take pseudoephedrine the night before and morning before all dives as I do. It's not for everyone tho. See Pseudoephedrine Information from Drugs.com If you do try it, maybe try it on an off day first to ensure you have no problems with it.

I would say find an ENT who is also a diver.

I would say find an ENT who is also a diver.
Yep. There's also an ear was possibility, but I'd like to get that call from one.

One ear clearing better than the other is extremely common, and not a cuase for worry. You could visit an ENT, but the odds there's nothing to be done except maybe using drugs to reduce or prevent congestion for better air flow. I prefer to avoid any unnecessary drugs, but that'll be your call.

Your problem gets progressively worse because you're slightly behind the curve on clearing and with each dive subjecting delicate tissues to mild barotrauma, leading to swelling, sensitivity and/or fluid in the middle ear space. With fewer ascents and descents in a day you have a chance to recover and might not even notice, but multiple dives make it progressively worse. It's like getting a bruise, the first shot hurts, and now even a tiny tap that you wouldn't have otherwise noticed, hurts like hell.

Clear your ears faster and gentler, descending slower if needed, manage bouyacy to minimize pressure changes during the dive, give your ears a chance to recover, and you'll be fine. As your diving and equalizing techniques improve this will become only an occasional problem.

Try equalizing on every breath as well. Not just every two feet. I also start "conditioning" my ears on the way to the dive site. Nothing radical just a very slight pinch and blow exercise every ten miles or so just to begin stretching the tubes.

I have found, over the years, that good hydration is key to equalization problems, Several sports drinks the night before and continuing until the dive will thin your bodily fluids and help with pressure equalization. Durring the course of multiple dives, one has a tendency to dehydrate at some level due to dry cylinder air and wetsuit insulation properties durring a normal SIT. My suggestion would be to continually stay hydrated with sports drinks and avoid coffee. My .02

Well I went to Catalina today and got two dives in with no ear problems. I found that it helps if I tilt my head to the left to clear my right ear. I also took a 24 Hr Claritin D again, but probably won't next time and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom