Ear Pressure Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LilmanHSU

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently got my Open Water Cert. and am enjoying up to this point! I had one question though.

I am finding it really difficult to equalize at any depth, and often find myself equalizing over and over again until my ears finally pop.

On my last dive, my buddies even said I had a little blood in my mask, which I didn't even know. However, when that dive was over, I felt as though there was still pressure in my ears.. Even now (3 days later) as I write this, I can feel pressure in my ears, and if I try to equalize them, I can hear them trying to pop.. But yet i still feel pressure.

Is this normal? Will it go away? Or should I see a doctor about it?

My second question is, drug interaction. Whenever I go on a boat, I have to take motion sickness meds.. I usually use dramamine. It doesn't make me drowsy and seems to work well.. If I use a decongestant, will that have any complications with the motion-sickness medication?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Regards,

Paul

Hello Paul:

It is likely that you have some type of blockage of your nasal lining near the openings of the offending Eustachian tubes. The bleeding is most likely from the same process around the openings to your sinuses. The obvious reason would be that the mucosa is swelling at various intervals, possibly from the results of allergy, irritations from fumes or from congestion from a thousand other sources.

Often, the cause is never found, although faulty technique is frequently the reason.

If a good ENT survey fails to expose a reason, then you might need to check into your diving technique. Descending feet first down the anchor line or a down line is helpful in that you can rise slowly just a foot or two and often take the pressure off and clear easily. Avoiding milk or milk products, cigarette smoke, diesel fumes, alcohol and any other irritants might be helpful.
For a downloadable article about clearing difficulties visit our web site at http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html .

In addition, you can use medications that will help you reduce the swelling around the opening to the Eustachian tubes. Most people use and get good results from oral Sudafed tablets. Afrin nasal spray, for a day or two only also is helpful. Avoid anti-histamines.

Dramamine has been shown to be additive to nitrogen narcosis at depth in good studies. You might change to Transderm Scop patches or Meclizine instead.

Just one tip...

Equalise as soon as your head goes under the water (don't wait untill you need to). If I do this I find that my ears equalise far easier for the rest of the dive. No scientific reason for this that I know of - just an observation made from lots of dives.

Jon T

Jon T hit the nail on the head. I equalize with my head above water, then again as soon as my head goes under, and very frequently for the first 20 feet or so. The further you go down, the less frequently you have to equalize. I always try to equalize before I feel any discomfort. Once you feel pain, it's a lot harder to equalize - go back up. Early and often is the key.

Thanks everyone,

I will just have to keep practicing at it before it comes easily. I'm sure it won't take much practice..

Oh, and thanks doc for the advice.. I will look into those other meds for sinus relief.

Happy Diving!

Regards,

Paul

Has anyone ever used Sudafed with various motion sickness medication? I don't want to have a drug interaction and be comatose the entire day!

Thanks!

Paul

Scubadoc, why avoid anti-histamines?
I´m allergic to several things and is taking anti-histamines.I think it´s helping me and even when I don´t need it for allergic resones it helps me equaliasing my ears easier.

/Wiking

Wiking:

Anti-Histamines do help you?

I have used Clairtin & Allegra in the past.. They clear up my allergies really quick! But never used them while diving. Mostly I just take motion sickness meds, and some afrin.

Scubadoc, I'm curious to know why we shouldn't use those too?

--Paul

Sudafed has stimulatory effects that could counteract the sedative effects of most of the older antihistamines. There is no reason not to take sudafed, except possibly when using Nitrox - as it is a sympathomimetic (mimics adrenalin)and has the slightly increased risk of O2 toxicity.

Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec all have few, if any, side effects and can be taken while diving without fear of drowsiness. However, we still don't know what might happen at depth, as no studies have been done.

All antihistamines will dry out the respiratory mucosa (lining) and add this to the dehydrating effects of the tank air, one has a definite loss of body fluids, possibly resulting in mild dehydration, with the possible increased risk of DCS.

If you have severe allergies and depend on antihistamines for your well-being - it would be wise to get your doctor to consider the use of the newer ones listed above.

These things are all cautionary suppositions, have little basis in RCTs (random controlled tests) but are derived from deductions about the drugs and the diving environment. Certainly don't stop your allergy medication if you have been using it for years without trouble. Sudafed has been tested in chamber dives and found to be safe. Dramamine, closely related to the older anti-histamines, has been shown in chamber tests to be dangerous.

Hope this is helpful!

Hey..

Just thought everyone who posted to this would care to know that I am feeling better.. all the pressure in my ears eventually went away with some time and decongestant.

Ready to go diving again!!!

Thanks for all your input.

Take care,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom