Ear plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
Sorry... pre-coffee posting. :wink:
Its ok, i skip through sometimes, and mostly when i arrive at work i am dazed, didnt mean it in a "short" way, just looking to see what else there was on the market :wink:

simbrooks:
Its ok, i skip through sometimes, and mostly when i arrive at work i am dazed, didnt mean it in a "short" way, just looking to see what else there was on the market :wink:

Plug your ears using your fingers! Working all the buttons used for diving would be a little difficult, however. :)

I've got a pair of ProPlugs but am a little afraid to use them. It's a pretty costly experiment in terms of pain and money if they somehow fail while I'm using them.

Proper application of the "ear beer" solution is essential, if only a couple drops are being used it's not enough. Gotta fill those ear canals up & soak 'em for 5 minutes for full benefit.
I use the home brew solution in a squeeze bottle, flushing the ears out before their soak.
Added benefit of the vinegar solution is it works wonders for cleaning your sunglasses too. :D

I am a great fan of of the vented ProPlugs (don't experiment with any kind of non-vented or foam plug). The main benefit is the elimination of direct cold against the tympanic membrane (eardrum) when first entering the water.

In an interesting way they also aid equalization in the first 20 feet or so by diminishing the shock of direct cold water on the eardrum. Water is kept out for some time as the plugs compress into the ear canal (the water has too much surface tension to penetrate the vent at normal atmosphere). Having the initial buffer of body temperature air against the eardrum is much more comfortable and forgiving when first entering the water instead of the shock of direct cold water flushing in.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 ATA the plug has compressed the air behind it as much as it can and the water gently breaks the surface tension resistance of the vent and dribbles in as needed to maintain pressure equilibrium. That isolated water pocket is immediately warmed to body temperature continuing the comfort.

So, they don't keep your ears dry, just more comfortable. On the way up there is no resistance to the water escaping from around the plug which has a tab that keeps it locked in place in the folds of cartiledge. They need to fit perfectly so it is best to find a shop that has a sample set you can try to determine correct size.

liberato:
So, they don't keep your ears dry, just more comfortable. On the way up there is no resistance to the water escaping from around the plug which has a tab that keeps it locked in place in the folds of cartiledge. They need to fit perfectly so it is best to find a shop that has a sample set you can try to determine correct size.
Yes the site linked above suggested buying the chart first (2 weeks delivery) then ordering the plugs (another 2 weeks), so i might just hit the store that is about 40 mins away that offers them or something like them next time i am passing through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom