Ear Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this isn't sounding so good for my trip to cozumel in 3 weeks!!!!! my doc said I may be able to dive then, that the plane ride will probably dictate that. any ideas on how long to wait to resume diving... with or without TM rupture???

thanks

Hmmmm.... lots of different things going on, hard to be specific, but probably best for you to be seen by the ENT doc.

The pressure changes in flying (in a modern, commercial aircraft) are miniscule compared to those diving, so I wouldn't assume that you will be OK diving if you don't have any problems on the plane. Assuming that everything else is normal, if your eardrum doesn't rupture, you should wait at least until you can safely equalize again. If your eardrum DOES rupture, you would need to wait until it was fully healed (as per the ENT exam), and you can safely equalize again.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mike

thanks for these postings. helpful to me. have had bad sinus/allergy/ear/throat problems for past week, had 1 trip to immediate care (told sinus infection), 1 trip to ER with worst headache/ear pain of life (told sinus infection & headache) and have been on 2 antibiotics for past 4 days now... today followed up with my PMD (who is family med) after symptoms significantly WORSE. now told my eardrum is "bulging" and probably going to rupture, tonsils are swollen and have to follow up with ENT on monday. now starting 3rd antibiotic tomorrow, oral steroids, nasal steroid spray and narcotic pain meds...

this isn't sounding so good for my trip to cozumel in 3 weeks!!!!! my doc said I may be able to dive then, that the plane ride will probably dictate that. any ideas on how long to wait to resume diving... with or without TM rupture???

thanks
Wow! I think I would be rescheduling the Coz trip. I'm sure you're eager to go, but you don't want to fly down there just to watch the boats go and return, and you certainly do not want to dive with bad ears. Do take the words from Doctormike as hard suggestions, please.

If you have trip insurance like I always do for International trips, it should cover any losses from rescheduling, including any companions. If you don't as most seem not to, talk to the airline, hotel, dive op about why you can't go. The airline may or may not waive the penalty for changing, but it's only a penalty - not a complete loss. I've done worse, much worse at times.

Hey, Doctormike - what about antibiotic-steroid ear drops? They were always part of the treatment when I used to get ear infections, before I became diligent with the alcohol-vinegar mix post dives. I didn't see any mention of those here, but those were what made life bearable when I had the worst ear aches, bed ridden for two days once. Would they not be indicated here? (And ask Admin to capitalize your name please so I can copy and paste it. :D They fixed mine that way years ago.)

The unopened bottle I carry in my med bag (larger these days with age) actually came from Cozumel, where it's OTC. Eh, it's out of date, tho; guess I should replace it.

Hey, Doctormike - what about antibiotic-steroid ear drops? They were always part of the treatment when I used to get ear infections, before I became diligent with the alcohol-vinegar mix post dives. I didn't see any mention of those here, but those were what made life bearable when I had the worst ear aches, bed ridden for two days once. Would they not be indicated here? (And ask Admin to capitalize your name please so I can copy and paste it. :D They fixed mine that way years ago.)

Yes DandyDon...those are great (i.e. Ciprodex), but remember - those are for outer ear infections ("swimmer's ear", otitis externa) which are like "diaper rash of the ear". This is an irritation of the skin of the ear canal, very painful, made worse by earwax and water exposure. This has nothing at all to do with barotrauma related ear disease, which is a middle ear problem related to the inability to equalize during pressure changes. There are a bunch of threads about these two conditions here..

The only overlap between outer and middle ear problems is that if you get enough barotrauma (or a severe middle ear infection which perforates the eardrum), debris may leak from the middle ear to the outer ear and cause a case of swimmer's ear as well...

:)

Yes DandyDon...those are great (i.e. Ciprodex), but remember - those are for outer ear infections ("swimmer's ear", otitis externa) which are like "diaper rash of the ear". This is an irritation of the skin of the ear canal, very painful, made worse by earwax and water exposure. This has nothing at all to do with barotrauma related ear disease, which is a middle ear problem related to the inability to equalize during pressure changes. There are a bunch of threads about these two conditions here..

The only overlap between outer and middle ear problems is that if you get enough barotrauma (or a severe middle ear infection which perforates the eardrum), debris may leak from the middle ear to the outer ear and cause a case of swimmer's ear as well...

:)
I guess that's why you're the Doc, and I'm just the cowboy, retired from that as well. Some of us cowboys think we can self medicate, and I've known those who used cattle meds & syringes. :eek: Glad I asked ~ thanks!

I guess that's why you're the Doc, and I'm just the cowboy, retired from that as well. Some of us cowboys think we can self medicate, and I've known those who used cattle meds & syringes. :eek: Glad I asked ~ thanks!

Sure, cerumen (earwax) is my life... :)

To quote one of my mentors, "Many people make fun of earwax, but I look at my little house in the country and I see a big pile of cerumen".

Sure, cerumen (earwax) is my life... :)

To quote one of my mentors, "Many people make fun of earwax, but I look at my little house in the country and I see a big pile of cerumen".
I bet! I see in my sink after irrigation - as taught by a Doc.

thanks for the replies... I do have an ENT appointment for monday. pain seems to be getting a little better today, now on prednisone for 24 hours, 3rd antibiotic started today and pain meds around the clock. I'm hoping for no rupture... obviously. and I will definately not dive if my doc says no... :( no eardrops as it is NOT otitis externa... he thinks the problem may lie with some kind of obstruction of my Eustachian tubes... possibly tonsils & adenoids.... I guess I find out more on monday...

we do have trip insurance... however, there is a group of people going and rescheduling vacation from work will be a big problem. I think I can force myself somehow to lay on the beach and just relax :)

I was doing a bit of research last night on here... any thoughts on the "doc's proplugs" if in fact this does clear up in time? I've read if you get the vented-fitted ones, they can be used for diving. just curious.
thanks again!

I was doing a bit of research last night on here... any thoughts on the "doc's proplugs" if in fact this does clear up in time? I've read if you get the vented-fitted ones, they can be used for diving. just curious.
thanks again!

Lots of threads on this, and some controversy as well. IMHO, these are for protecting your ear from water if you have an OUTER ear infection (swimmer's ear) and are swimming on the surface or maybe diving shallow (within a few feet of the surface). Some people do swear by them and say they SCUBA dive with them, but I don't think that would be a good idea, vented or not. Also, they wouldn't really have any effect on a problem with equalization anyway, if that is what you were thinking...

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom