Ear infections - Any suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I guess it would be swimmer’s ear.
I’m often diving 3 times a day, in water temperature around 30 degrees… so at least every 2 months i begin feeling an infection. No, I don’t use a hood - but I think I will start!

Thank you. I really appreciate the help :)
Welcome!
So, are you talking about swimmer ear right (aka external ear otitis)?
What do you mean by "frequent"? Do you use a hood? If not, can you make any correlation between the use of hood and the infection?

PS. If Admin can move the discussion here may be helpful since the 'experts' on that topic are there.

I’m often diving 3 times a day, in water temperature around 30 degrees… so at least every 2 months i begin feeling an infection. No, I don’t use a hood - but I think I will start!

You really need to pull your hood away from the sides of your head to allow water in. Otherwise, it can create a vacuum and make equalizing difficult.

YMMV - I have dove with a hood twice, and both times I got OE. I haven’t gotten OE for any other dive. I dove cold with a beanie that didn’t cover my ears, no OE after that dive.

So for me the hood is a no-go. Otherwise OE hasn’t been an issue for me.

In your instance I’d try the various ear pretreating items.

Well, with that diving frequency and water temperature I’d say it is not uncommon to have an infection every 2 months.
As someone else said, the hood can be very good for someone or the contrary: if I were you, I’d probably try it as long as possible and verify what happens.

Besides that, ear beer after dive is a very good solution, but you have to be consistent with it: use it after every dive and apply it asap once out of the water

Hi! I used to suffer from ear infections almost during(or after) all my dive trips when i dive successively for 10 days or more and 3-4 a day.

This happened especially in tropical waters where the water is rich with lots of organisms etc.

Since i started to wash my ears immediately after every dive with fresh water i did not have any serious infection. I would highly recommend doing this.

My two cents... first keep ear irritation to a minimum, for me that is being gentle when equalizing, i have narrow eustachian tubes so Infind that wiggling my jaw when equalizing helps, also the exhaust from your regulator can irritate ears so a hood helps with that, and rinsing with fresh water followed by ear beer after every dive. I also have an anti-biotic on hand if an infection gets started.

In addition to ear infection prevention (by keeping them dry)

Worth having some ear antibiotic drops on hand in case you do get a mild infection. For an infection which won't go away you'll need to probably see a doc.

Not all areas have ear antibiotics OTC, but you can buy some on Amazon if need be (or make your own using common OTC remedies, thats all these drops are)

Cheers

Ear Beer after EVERY dive keeps the funkys away
Mix equal parts of white vinegar, alcohol, and distilled water.
Tilt head to side, put in drops. Let it set a couple minutes before draining. Repeat on other side.

Ear Beer after EVERY dive keeps the funkys away
Mix equal parts of white vinegar, alcohol, and distilled water.
Tilt head to side, put in drops. Let it set a couple minutes before draining. Repeat on other side.
I agree - However I simply use 50/50 alcohol and vinegar. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Back
Top Bottom