Ear equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJamie71

Reaction score
Hey there, have any of you guys have problems with your ears while underwater, like constant equalizing and have water in your ears after a dive? I equal the pressure in my ears like your suppose to so that is no problem just that the other day after a dive it felt like I had water in my ears like you get when you were a kid swimming. Thanks guys.

Jamie

ScubaJamie71:
Hey there, have any of you guys have problems with your ears while underwater, like constant equalizing and have water in your ears after a dive? I equal the pressure in my ears like your suppose to so that is no problem just that the other day after a dive it felt like I had water in my ears like you get when you were a kid swimming. Thanks guys.

Jamie

I'll do one better. I'll tell ya a little story: :D

I've noticed that there is really only one method of equalizing that you get taught at a new diver - valsalva. Well, I have some trouble doing this, but if I blow hard enough, it will work.

So, its my last dive of my OW cert course, and I find myself at 15' unable to equalize. I had problems on my previous dive, but persistence paid off. Not wanting to abort the last dive, and not fully understanding the dangers of forcefully equalizing, I pinched my nose and blew like hell.

This is when I think it happened. My ears equalized real quick, but it sure felt like I got water in there. I felt ok, so I thought, "no problem, lets continue the dive."

I completed the dive ok, but when we left the water, I felt like I had an ocean in my ears! I couldn't hear much of anything. This feeling stayed with me for 3 days, so I decided to go see a doc. Turns out, I nearly blew out my ear drums! Both were intact, but red as hell and I had a fluid build-up behind them. It could have been much worse (think fistule, blown ear drums, etc...) I was given a decongestant and sent on my way. It took a week to clear up, but I'm back to 100%, with a very valuable lesson learned: Never forcefully equalize.

This made me do some research where I found a video of an ENT doc doing a siminar about ear damage in diving. In this video (which I will try to find and post here), he mentions several really good ways to equalize.

The method that works perfectly for me every time is a modified valsalva. Basically, you pinch your nose and blow gently, but while you are blowing, swallow once. This seems like an impossible thing to do - swallow while doing valsalva - but with practice it gets really easy. I found that this works great and equalizes both ears every time.

Also remember, its easier if you equalize on the surface before you start your descent, and keep ahead of the need, all the way down.

Hope this helps!

--Ice9

ScubaJamie71:

Jamie

I get the same feeling. You can get some "swimmers ear" drops from a pharmacy, or make you're own "ear beer" - 50% white vinegar, 50% rubbing alcohol. Just put a few drops in each ear, wait 10-30secs then shake it out. The alcohol helps to dry your ear, the vinegar keeps your ear acidic to discourage infection or anything else that you don't want from growing in there. There was another thread on the same thing last month: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=142529

No equalization problems to date (knock on wood), but I do get the water in the ear thing sometimes. I use swimmer's ear drops anytime I dive in particularly warm waters (since warm water is more likely to cause infection). I actually use it when I go swimming or do anything that involves my head being submerged in water, especially in the Summer in fresh water Texas lakes (water temps in the high 80's).

As far as equalization, I make a concerted effort to equalize A LOT on my descents because historically I've had some ear issues (middle ear infections due to swimming, etc.). I fly A LOT for business and never have equalization problems on planes either, so I don't know if it's something that gets better over time or just fluke. When I was young I'd have problems on planes, but never anymore.

I use to have problems equalizing until I realized that my constant congestion due to allergies was the cause. I take decongestants like Sudafed now if I want to go diving and don't have anymore problems equalizing.

cleung:
I use to have problems equalizing until I realized that my constant congestion due to allergies was the cause. I take decongestants like Sudafed now if I want to go diving and don't have anymore problems equalizing.

Do you take it right before you get in the water (as in like 30-60 minutes before) or when you wake up?

Thanks guys, I always equalize just before I go under the water and then again under. i also equalize while I am diving and trying to get my bouyancy right. I think it hit my ears bad that day cause I ascended to fast and it felt weird. All other times I dive I ma fine and equalize pretty good. I have always had problems with my ears and I have allergies also but usually get in the spring only. Thanks again guys.

BrianV:
Do you take it right before you get in the water (as in like 30-60 minutes before) or when you wake up?

I actually take Benedryl before I go to sleep the night before to start things clearing. Then in the morning upon waking, I take a long acting Sudafed which lasts 12 hours, good for diving all day.

ScubaJamie71:
...I think it hit my ears bad that day cause I ascended to fast and it felt weird....

One thing new divers need to keep in mind is not just following other divers descent or ascent rates. Not saying you did or do this, but just mentioning it for the whole. I have had dive buddies who just took off and I was certain they were not equalizing correctly because their accent or decent rate was way too fast. I just go my pace and let them suffer the consequences. Bottom line is don’t feel pressured, hee hee yah..pressured…funny, ummm…pressured to go faster than YOUR ears allow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom