Ear clearing question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try Doc's pro ear plugs. For some they work and some they don't. But for me they work. Makes clearing a whole lot easier. Hey ,,,they are only 10 bucks!!!

The Classic Ear Hurts Syndrome: Don't take this the wrong way, but go clean out your ears!!!

There are a couple things you can do to help yourself with this ear problem:

1) Buy some "EAR DRY" or a similar product, Walmart carries it in the Pharm. area. It's just Isopropyl Alcohol. It help with swimmers ear. I usually just use this stuff after coming out of the water as kind of a preventative type thing, but just once in a while, whenever the thought occurs to me to do it.

2) Use Wax Removal on your ears. They make stuff to remove the wax from your ears, works a lot better than just using a q-tip. The stuff I use is called Murine Wax Removal System. it's just Carbamide Peroxide, but there are other forms of alcohol that work too, but there are some that are bad for your ears too, so just make sure you buy a product that is designed to remove ear wax.

OR

3) THE BEST OPTION: Go to a clinic, and get your ears cleaned professionally, it cost about $30, you do it once a year, or once every two years, it is painless, and it works better than anything you can buy over the counter.

The reason you are having trouble equalizing is simply water getting trapped behind ear wax, and air is getting trapped behind that.

The reason most people have an easier time equalizing as time goes by is because they generally clear the blockage out just enough whereas the problem goes away, just by equalizing thier ears often enough.

I would strongly suggest that you just go to a clinic and pay the $30 to have it professionally done, as a matter of fact, I have to make an appointment for myself pretty soon, thanks for reminding me.

PS, I know you probably think your ears are clean, I did too, I couldn't believe that my ears weren't clean, but I was wrong. It's pretty common, not a lot of people get thier ears cleaned professionaly. Your local health clinic might even do it.

CJ Waid:
PS, I know you probably think your ears are clean, I did too, I couldn't believe that my ears weren't clean, but I was wrong. It's pretty common, not a lot of people get thier ears cleaned professionaly. Your local health clinic might even do it.

As a Critical Care nurse, (Even though I don't take care of pts anymore) I usually have access to an otoscope and people who know how to use it.

You are totally correct in that most people don't know how waxy their ears are but in my case that wasn't the problem. I am one of those people God created with small e-tubes so it has always been more difficult for me to clear my ears (although before now the problem has been with flying and driving.

If anyone with a similar problem is reading this post PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THE WHOLE VIDEO PREVIOUSLY REFERENCED!!! It was excellent. For me, it made ALL the diference.

I also bought some Doc's Proplugs (Thanks for the suggestion) and am going to give them a try later this month. I will get back on and post my thoughts on them after I get to use them.

Robert

My ears clear easier every dive. I do not know if I am doing it better or if I have trained my ears.

Still with only a handful of dives under my belt, I've found that when I feel the pressure change, I just exhale a full breath out my nose into my mask. The pressure on my mask provides enough back pressure that it normally equalizes my ears. All the excess air blows past my mask seal without me touching my mask. As soon as I stop exhaling, the mask seals. If I tilt my head back a little, it also clears my mask, although most of the air seems to leak out the sides near my laugh lines.

When you feel the first bit of ear discomfort, stop & raise your head up a few feet (to relieve pressure) & then try clearing again. Should work like a champ!

Flatliner:
Hi Everybody, I am sorry I didn't post on Monday but I was traveling. Diving went really well on Sunday. I am now officially an Open Water Certified and Dry Suit Certified diver. I still found it difficult to clear my ears a couple of times but using the "adams apple bob" from the video worked about 200 times better than what I was doing the day before. My ears still hurt a little at the end of the day but not remotely like the day before. On a side note, two days later I think I might be coming down with a slight cold also.

Thanks for all of your help, you guys are awesome!!!

Robert
When I started diving I had a lot of issues with my ears. The doctor told me when I dive to use 4 way spray the morning of so that my sinuses are clear. That helped huge. Also I go slow and clear tons on the way down. I even clear a few times on the way up. I make sure to dry my ears once done diving. I notice that they don’t bother me as bad as they use to as long as I spray first, dry after and clear often. Glad you had better luck and it does get easier. I do know someone that does have problems and has been diving for years. They just get in before everyone else and go down very slow. Good luck.

Stacy

CJ Waid:

Sorry if duplicate got a blank page back and don’t see that this posted.

My doctor actually told me I was keeping my ears too clean. He said a little wax is good because it protects your ears. He told me that was part of my problem. Would have never guessed having too clean of ears would be a problem also. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom