Ear clearing question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatliner

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just finished my first 3 open water dives and MY EARS HURT!!!!! I had a lot of trouble getting them to clear and am looking for suggestions for tomorrow. My last dive was a lot better because I started clearing them early but I just can't seem to get the hang of getting them to clear by plugging my nose. Above the water, I usually just yawn but that seems to cause other unwanted problems underwater, lol.

I dont know what to say but that you need to start early yes. It becomes easier with time.

Many have this problem at first. My wife just got certified and had a lot of problems in her class dives. Big thing is to descend very slowly and clear early and often.

Do or did you have congestion problems at all while experiencing these problems? Swallowing often works well for some folks, also the valsalva works well. But again the most important thing is a slow descent and if you feel pain stop ascend a foot or two until the pain stops and then try again.

It does get easier with time.

Welcome to the new lifestyle!

I have trouble with my ears too. Just under 50 dives now and my ears show up each dive to give me fits. I have to equalize on top before I decend. And then equalize every breath on my very very slow decent. Sometimes, I have to equalized 2 or 3 times in one spot before I can go down.

Hang in there. Shorty after my open water, I went to the doctor thinking I had a double ear infection. He said nope, just blood shot ears from when I had trouble equalizing. It has been getting a little better with each dive.

Hey a few weeks ago someone posted an article that they wrote on earing methods. Does anybody remember who the OP was and the link to that article?

And don't force it! If you're having problems, come up a bit.

With practice, your ears become very receptive to the procedure but it does take some time.

Thanks all,

The video was especially helpful. I will give these a try tomorrow.

Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Robert

That's why we are all here- to learn from each other!
thanks

Back
Top Bottom