Ear Beer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Now that got your attention. I always have a problem going down after I've been dry for a while. Figured I'd try a solution to clean out ears. Use it for a week or so before I go away in April.... Trolled a few old threads and found the perfect thread posted be TSnM on another board. (It's the essay that linked to another board)

Adam, this is unfortunately a common problem in new divers. As you descend and are unable to equalize, a relative vacuum occurs in your middle ear. This pressure differential draws fluid out of the capillaries (or even ruptures them) and the result is a fluid-filled middle ear. This dampens sound transduction and results in muffled hearing, and often in crackling or bubbling sounds. It can take a couple of weeks for this to resolve, depending on your anatomy and whether there is actually blood in the middle ear.

But the more worrisome thing is that it is also possible to damage the delicate structures of the inner ear with barotrauma, and when muffled hearing persists for more than a week or so, this is more concerning. I would strongly second the recommendation to see a diving-savvy ENT doc when you get home, and if you don't know where to find one, Divers Alert Network (DAN) can help (even if you aren't a member).

In the meantime, you might enjoy watching Dr. Kay's VIDEO on the diver's ear (warning, it is long) and reading a small ESSAY on this subject that I wrote a while back.

Now that got your attention. I always have a problem going down after I've been dry for a while. Figured I'd try a solution to clean out ears. Use it for a week or so before I go away in April.... Trolled a few old threads and found the perfect thread posted be TSnM on another board. (It's the essay that linked to another board)

If the solution that you are referring to is alcohol or alcohol and vinegar, traditionally called ear beer, this is intended to dry the ear after the dive, not to clean the ear before the dive.

A talk with your ENT might be beneficial.

Figured I'd try a solution to clean out ears. Use it for a week or so before I go away in April.... Trolled a few old threads and found the perfect thread posted be TSnM on another board. (It's the essay that linked to another board)

Hi Wolfie,

Perhaps I missed it, but I could find nothing in TSandM's essay (Ear "infections") regarding a solution to "clean out the ears before diving", e.g., Debrox Solution, Murine Ear Wax Removal Drops.

I do see that she mentions "ear beer," which has been extensively discussed on this forum (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3651522). But this, of course, is used only post-dive to dry the ear and create a pH inhospitable to the growth of pathogens, not to clean the ear long before the dive (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/373666-how-long-takes-ear-fullness-go-away.html).

Could you please clarify?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Well I thought it was a great essey anyway and would help a lot of people. And yes I am now realizing that cleaning out my outer ear will not help me inner ear problems. I really don't know what to do. I have spoke to my ENT about it but he doesn't dive so I go no where there. It seems that after a couple dives I have no problem equalizing. But if I've been dry for say a month, look out, I'm one of those 15 minutes to 40' type. After a dive (or two) all is well. It's like there is something blocking part of my inner ear, a couple ups and downs, It's all worked out.

Last edited:
I really wondered about the title? :confused: I've always thought the name ear beer was silly, but the use of alcohol & vinegar mix has been wonderful about preventing outer ear infections that have sent me to a doctor's office on the verge of tears. I enjoyed swimming for decades, spend a lot of time underwater, as well as snorkeling and free diving with no problems - but then they happened! Old age maybe? :idk: Whatever, hate it when I get an outer ear infection from diving or from my sinuses, the latter of which I don't understand but has happened. Anyway, use your mix after diving and avoid otitis externa.

Your problem is equalizing and avoiding barotrauma - same ears, different challenges. My home bud always has problems the first 2 or 3 days of a dive trip and takes a lot of work...

1: Did you watch the video linked in the essay you quoted? Should be helpful.

2: Have you tried decongestants and antihistamines? Both can be helpful, worth trying if they don't cause any problems. There are some cautions about not wanting it to wear off while below, and some might disagree with the use, but some of us can't imagine diving without it. Pseudoephedrine is the most popular decongestant with a few more cautions...
(a) Some people have problems with side effects. see Pseudoephedrine Side Effects | Drugs.com Try them on an off day when you have nothing planned in case you have any problems.
(b) Because it's also used by criminals to produce illegal drugs, it's been restricted, you have to ask the pharmacist for it, it's becoming hard to find in some places, requires a prescription in some states, and don't even think about buying two boxes in one day or skirting any other rules. see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...ying-sudafed-her-instructor-told-her-get.html The replacement drug being used with the old brand names for OTC decongestants are almost worthless tho.
My favorite for decades has been Actifed and Walgreens carries a private brand call Wal-Act with the same decongestant and antihistamine.

3: Do your practice equalizing for days in advance of your first dive, as well as several times while gearing up and just before going in? Helps a lot.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom