Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enjoyed the ear beer presentation. I can vouch for the Japanese tradition of keeping ears clear. I lived there for many years. I have used ear beer on several occasions with great success. I also like glycerin. I have used 95% alcohol when I felt there might be lurking bacteria.

On a tangent I tell new divers who are having equalization problems to submerge in some deepish water like the deep end of the pool on a regular basis to keep their Eustachian tubes in "reflex mode". It helps me enormously to make it a regular habit.
Thanks for the valuable feedback. You lived in Japan...! WHich part.

I thought that was very informative, however I disagree with one point.

Presumably for people who make a lot of wax, diligently keeping the ear clean is important. However, I think I am probably on the "normal" range of wax production and never had to have anyone clean out my ears... other than one time from impacted sand and sea shells (but that was body surfing in stupid conditions).

Anyway, i feel that a small amount of wax helps to water proof the ear and protect it. If I am too diligent with a Q-tip and use one every day, the ear gets too dry and then the alcohol and vinegar is moderately to significantly irritating.

I have had significant issues with swimmers ear and if I use ear beer BEFORE a dive (and after) it seems to help tremendously. I avoid excess cleaning of the ear canal and it is also important to keep the head and ears warm between dives in cool or cold conditions. Also you said white vinegard doesn't smell? It stinks, I can smell it for an hour after application.
Great input thanks for that. Fair enough about the cleaning point. I guess I'm super vigilant cuz I'm seriously freaky, superhuman at wax production. Maybe I'm half bee. I should open a candle factory...

When I was very young I lived in Yokohama. Then in High School I lived in Kanto Mura which is near Tokyo.

Thanks for the valuable feedback. You lived in Japan...! WHich part.

When I was very young I lived in Yokohama. Then in High School I lived in Kanto Mura which is near Tokyo.
Oh, interesting. I like not so far from either of those. Guess you did not get to dive here. Look me up if you ever get back!

I would love to dive in Japan. My regular dive location is Puerto Galera.

Oh, interesting. I like not so far from either of those. Guess you did not get to dive here. Look me up if you ever get back!

I would love to dive in Japan. My regular dive location is Puerto Galera.
PG...been there a few times, Asia Divers. Fantastic location.

Great input thanks for that. Fair enough about the cleaning point. I guess I'm super vigilant cuz I'm seriously freaky, superhuman at wax production. Maybe I'm half bee. I should open a candle factory...

Or a wax museum, as my mother used to say about me. Getting your ears hosed out at the doctor is fabulous.

Good video @jagfish

I've had my fair share of ear infections and perforated both ears on several occasions since I started diving back in 1985, but I'm still diving.

My first ear infection though wasn't until some time in the mid 2000s ruining a few dive trips in the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Nowadays I'm super cautious.

1. Predive I use Earol
2. I wear the IST mask with ear covers, more to prevent anything from entering than really keeping my ears dry, as they still get slightly damp unless you have a haircut like Kim Jong Un.
3. Finally after the day's diving my home made ear beer (75% alcohol and 25% white vinegar - which does smell).

Currently only my right ear is producing wax when I'm not diving but not sufficient to make candles :rofl3:

Will look to add some glycerin or olive oil / tea tree oil to my current ear beer to reduce the post-treatment dryness.

Oh and it you are half a bee then perhaps change your name to Eric

Good video @jagfish

I've had my fair share of ear infections and perforated both ears on several occasions since I started diving back in 1985, but I'm still diving.

My first ear infection though wasn't until some time in the mid 2000s ruining a few dive trips in the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Nowadays I'm super cautious.

1. Predive I use Earol
2. I wear the IST mask with ear covers, more to prevent anything from entering than really keeping my ears dry, as they still get slightly damp unless you have a haircut like Kim Jong Un.
3. Finally after the day's diving my home made ear beer (75% alcohol and 25% white vinegar - which does smell).

Currently only my right ear is producing wax when I'm not diving but not sufficient to make candles :rofl3:

Will look to add some glycerin or olive oil / tea tree oil to my current ear beer to reduce the post-treatment dryness.

Oh and it you are half a bee then perhaps change your name to Eric
Great info post, thanks!
Sorry to hear about your ear troubles....but gives you a lot of perspective to share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom