Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ear Beer & Diver’s Ear Care - Preventing Ear Infections
Happy ears are essential for divers and so ear care is paramount. If you are prone to occasional or chronic ear infections after diving, Ear Beer may be the solution for you. Learn what Ear Beer is, how to make and how to use. Also included are some other info and tips for ear care (Some are ScubaBoard threads and DAN articles)

I like your videos.

If there was no ear beer, I could not dive.
I got infections after every dive, before i started using ear beer. No problem since then
Hey, that's good to hear some positive comments on the effectiveness of the remedy. It has helped a lot of my divers over the years. Thanks for the feedback!
Jim

Enjoyed the ear beer presentation. I can vouch for the Japanese tradition of keeping ears clear. I lived there for many years. I have used ear beer on several occasions with great success. I also like glycerin. I have used 95% alcohol when I felt there might be lurking bacteria.

On a tangent I tell new divers who are having equalization problems to submerge in some deepish water like the deep end of the pool on a regular basis to keep their Eustachian tubes in "reflex mode". It helps me enormously to make it a regular habit.

I've been lucky to not have any dive-related ear issues. Thanks to the OP for posting the video.

I did quit a bit of diving over the Summer in a warm fresh water quary. If I didn't use ear beer within a few hours I would get an infection. I think the water you are in makes a big difference.
Absolutely! Pool water is like an instant infekt.
I had less problems in salt water, then i had in quarry waters

I thought that was very informative, however I disagree with one point.

Presumably for people who make a lot of wax, diligently keeping the ear clean is important. However, I think I am probably on the "normal" range of wax production and never had to have anyone clean out my ears... other than one time from impacted sand and sea shells (but that was body surfing in stupid conditions).

Anyway, I feel that a small amount of wax helps to water proof the ear and protect it. If I am too diligent with a Q-tip and use one every day, the ear gets too dry and then the alcohol and vinegar is moderately to significantly irritating.

I have had significant issues with swimmers ear and if I use ear beer BEFORE a dive (and after) it seems to help tremendously. I avoid excess cleaning of the ear canal and it is also important to keep the head and ears warm between dives in cool or cold conditions. Also you said white vinegard doesn't smell? It stinks, I can smell it for an hour after application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom