EANx Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichLockyer:
Education is always a good thing.

Exactly, Wasn't long ago nitrox was hard to find anywhere and now it's hard for many to imagine a place where it's hard to find. You'll definately find it at many travel destinations, where you'll want to do repetitive dives. And I'd imagine it'll show it's head around your area sooner or later.

Did I miss how your taking the class if there are no fills around? Was this a travel opportunity? If so, there you go.

teknitroxdiver:
I disagree. Every single manual and online tech-info site states that the x in EANx is to denote an unknown O2 percentage. And every listing of fill percentages I've seen on liveaboard pages and dive shop info's have used the EAN32 or EAN36, etc markings.

Thank you, that was my original point.

I was offered the course in Newfoundland. There I CAN get fills, but I am only there for a week of diving. Coming back to NB, there really isn't a dive shop around that fills nitrox. Nova Scotia I wouldn't have a problem. To me it would be great to have the course just incase... but in the long run the "JUST INCASE" may not be the best way to justify spending $150-400 to take the course and not use it...

I wouldn't pay more than $150US for the course regardless, and that is a princely sum. Education is nice and all that, but..........

teknitroxdiver:
I disagree. Every single manual and online tech-info site states that the x in EANx is to denote an unknown O2 percentage. And every listing of fill percentages I've seen on liveaboard pages and dive shop info's have used the EAN32 or EAN36, etc markings.

From NOAA Diving Manual, 4th Edition, section 15-3, "Terminology:" "Other terms often used to describe oxygen rich mixtures, called "nitrox" in this chapter, include oxygen-enriched air (OEA) and enriched-air nitrox (EAN). From the latter of these we have evolved the terms "EAN or EANx." The "x" was originally the "x" in nitrox, but in some usage it has become a subscript showing the oxygen precentage."

- As I stated earlier, you CAN make the x the percentage (and many do), but don't have to - some prefer to do it the old way. Guess it depends on when and what you originally learned. NOAA approved nitrox in 1978.

Also, though it is still taught by many agencies, NOAA no longer refers to NOAA Nitrox standard blends as NOAA Nitrox I and NOAA Nitrox II because of the confusion; they are now NN32 and NN36.

Firediver:
Just what I was looking for.. Pro's and COns so to speak of diving Nitrox. Here there is no one that fills tanks with nitrox. OR any dive shop planning too in this area. I have had all my questions answered by a nitrox instructor here on the board who has been a great help. I appreciate all the help I recieved here on this thread too. Thanks again.

Marj,

Last time I was talking to the guys at the Diveshack in Saint John, they were considering bringing it in. Mind you its not like you'll get to take advantage of the extra bottom times with the short slack tides in the Bay, but I think they were going to start bringing it in because of the *cough* old divers, sorry guys(and girls) who want to breathe it for the added safety (by diving it on Reg Air tables, or Air Pc).

Chris

Just to add a few comments:

1. I'll apologize for the rudeness on the first page of this thread. I see nothing in your question that implies an inability to learn. Different areas have different practices. Where I learned in NC, almost everybody dove Nitrox for every dive. Here, in South Florida, the beach divers never spend the extra money, because we usually run out of air before we run out of bottom time on shallow dives. (After all, after 2 hours underwater, it's time to take a surface interval, don't you think?) Ignorance of this or that fine point in dive training doesn't imply stupidity. I, for one, have limited drysuit experience and have never dived with a rebreather. Am I ignorant of those types of diving? Abosolutely! Am I unable to learn? Not hardly! The tone set by those early responses really chaps me...

2. There are a number of reasons for the development of different terminology for enriched air diving. The use of enriched air is still a bit controversial, and some of the training agencies resisted its use until recently. Thus, the confusion over terminology.

3. Nitrox is used to extend bottom time (NDL). As a pleasant aside, many divers (myself included) experience positive subjective effects from the increased partial pressures of oxygen that you breathe on a nitrox dive. I seem less tired and feel a little better, but thay may be placebo effect.

4. Nitrox adds a safety concern, namely oxygen toxicity. Depths are limited to shallower depths than those allowed with air, for the oxygen in the gas can become toxic at depth. The bulk of training in Nitrox use (at least for PADI and IANTD, who certified me) involves calculating oxygen exposure limits to prevent the onset of toxicity, which can include seizures at depth, which are almost invariably fatal. MOD means Maximum Operating Depth. The Contingency Depth is a depth to which you can descend in an emergency.

5. The bottom line is that if you don't have Nitrox available locally, it's probably not worth taking the course. Sounds like there are other training courses that might be more applicable to the types of dives you do. Nothing wrong with the training, but if you're like me, you have to choose your training program based on things that will improve your skills and increase the safety of your dives.

Good luck with AOW. Keep gaining experience and training. Safely ascend from every dive.

-Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom