EANx Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your very detailed answer! Where I live in Japan some of the practical issues that you mention - in particular Point 2 Availbility - is an issue. I can't even get a fill in Fukuoka even if I want one. Some of your other points though I would say are taken care of by the training surely? I'm Nitrox certifed - so I do already understand partial pressures, CNS, and MOD's :eyebrow:. I found the other thread which had the comments about Nitrox and older divers - if you are interested it's:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t54120.html
The main point for older divers was the reduced risk of DCS. The other pertinent comments from that thread concerned the effects of diving on your heart - apparantly according to one doctor - less with Nitrox, and the fact that DAN recommends Nitrox use for people over the age of 40. In any event - food for thought.

KimLeece:
The main point for older divers was the reduced risk of DCS. The other pertinent comments from that thread concerned the effects of diving on your heart - apparantly according to one doctor - less with Nitrox
The thing to remember is that all of the advantages of nitrox other than extended NDL and/or reduced surface interval are given back the moment you stop using your air tables or set your computer to an O2 level that matches your EAN level.
The risk of diving EAN32 to it's NDL is identical to the risk of diving air to it's NDL, regardless of the diver's age.

Just what I was looking for.. Pro's and COns so to speak of diving Nitrox. Here there is no one that fills tanks with nitrox. OR any dive shop planning too in this area. I have had all my questions answered by a nitrox instructor here on the board who has been a great help. I appreciate all the help I recieved here on this thread too. Thanks again.

Firediver:
Just what I was looking for.. Pro's and COns so to speak of diving Nitrox. Here there is no one that fills tanks with nitrox.
If you can't get it, then your options are severely limited (it is still possible), but if you can't get it you can't get it, and it's not that big of a deal.

Firediver:
Just what I was looking for.. Pro's and COns so to speak of diving Nitrox.

Ahhh, So that's what you were looking for.

Don't get too discouraged on this board, you can usually find what your looking for if you can stand the signal/noise ratio. There's a wealth of information, just don't take any single piece of it at face value.

randyjoy:
The EANx means Enriched Air NitroX - the x comes from Nitrox. You MAY drop the "x" label and refer to EAN32, but they are interchangeable. Check BSAC, NOAA, PADI, NAUI, etc. - most do not drop the "x".

See

CD_in_Chitown:

I disagree. Every single manual and online tech-info site states that the x in EANx is to denote an unknown O2 percentage. And every listing of fill percentages I've seen on liveaboard pages and dive shop info's have used the EAN32 or EAN36, etc markings.

Firediver:
Just what I was looking for.. Pro's and COns so to speak of diving Nitrox. Here there is no one that fills tanks with nitrox. OR any dive shop planning too in this area. I have had all my questions answered by a nitrox instructor here on the board who has been a great help. I appreciate all the help I recieved here on this thread too. Thanks again.

Get your own bank oxygen and transfill whip and mix your own nitrox. Its so simple any diveshop moron can do it.

CD_in_Chitown Thanks. I have been copying a lot of the information I got here and saving it.. just to refer back to when I do decide to take the course. I learned alot. Even though I can't get fills here would it still be benificial to take the course?? I mean if I do decide to dive somewhere where I can get fills like in newfoundland or down south.. or whereever but here..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom