EAN36 at safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Assuming a dive to 60' which is our most common depth. Would it make sense to hang a bottle of EAN 36 for our 15' stop if we have been diving air?

It seems to me that it would help in the off gassing of Nitrogen. Or would it accomplish the same thing by doing 1 min stops on the tens and the 3 min 15'?

Thanks
Greg

Why not just do the dive on 32% or even 36% and just be done with it?

The problem with hang bottles is that you may ascend some place else. The problem with air is that you're sucking down nitrogen that you don't need.
Just put the nitrox on your back.

That would be ok for me and my brother, but my dad and sister in law aren't EANx certified. Which sucks. We are working on them.

On a side note, I was told that older divers benefit much more by diving 32/36 since they retain Nitrogen more. Do you know anything about this?

Dr. Frankenmule:
On a side note, I was told that older divers benefit much more by diving 32/36 since they retain Nitrogen more. Do you know anything about this?

i dont know how true it is but i was told that Nitrox is very good for older people, over-weight/out of shape people and people that smokes. i fit all of those and i'll be the 1st to admit, when i have used Nitrox, i feel a lot better after a day or week of diving than i do when diving just air for the same amount of diving.

steve

Dr. Frankenmule:
That would be ok for me and my brother, but my dad and sister in law aren't EANx certified. Which sucks. We are working on them.

Generally speaking, according to "industry rules" a diver who isn't nitrox trained shouldn't be using it at safety stops either. There isn't any reason that a diver using good dive planning and ascent procedures can't safely do it on air.

On a side note, I was told that older divers benefit much more by diving 32/36 since they retain Nitrogen more. Do you know anything about this?[/QUOTE]

It's beleived that age is one of those things that may pre-dispose a diver to DCS.

thanks Mike,
I'm thinking we have him talked into it at this point. He is really motivated to dive now. Although he is in awesome shape I still worry, guess it's a kid thing....
Greg

If you are going to hang a deco bottle why not use a higher percentage than 36. 50% is the probably the most popular single deco gas, or if you don't have cleaned regs you could at least use 40%. But I have to agree with the others that said it would make more sense to do the whole dive on nitrox.

If the non-nitrox certified divers where under your supervision and the max possible depth was clearly know in the spots you are diving, and you choose a gas that is well within safe limits I don't see any major problems with them using nitrox - as long as they are aware of the risks of using it unsupervised without proper training!!! But by way of a discaimer I am only stating a personal view here - not recommending the practice.

Point well taken, I'm thinking of getting a steel 72 cleaned and serviced to use for that.
thanks for the input.
Greg

Back
Top Bottom