Eagle and Spiegel Grove Trip Report- 9/23 and 9/24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmufieldhockey8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is my first trip report so bear with me. Went down to Key Largo on Friday from Tampa with Divergirl4u and 3 other divers. We stayed at Ocean Point Suites (condo) in Tavernier which was a great bang for your buck. Nice place.

Saturday we did 2 dives on the Eagle with max depths of 105 and 99 ft with an hour surface interval in between. I only have a few dives at these depths so it was great experience for me. I'm waiting for my aow card in the mail (and I don't have a temp card) yet the charter person said nothing about just the ow card I gave him. Divergirl dives with them a lot and she said we were all advanced divers and they took her word for it. I dunno how often this happens but I thought they'd at least ask to see my logbook since I was supposed to be advanced for this dive and handed them an ow card.

Visibility was about 50 ft and we did a couple swim throughs. The ship's on it's side so it was a little disorienting for me but I'd definitely like to go back. Hardly any current 1st dive, but it started to pick up as well as visibility dropping some on the 2nd dive. All and all, 2 great dives. The best thing about it was staying at the same site for 2 dives so you could get a feel for the wreck and then go dive it again.

Sunday just 2 of us dove the Spiegel Grove.. on a cattle boat! I've never been on a boat with more then a handful of people. I dove the Spiegel Grove once before and got stuck with a 3rd buddy who I let ruin the dive with his wandering around. Boy was there a current, much more then I've ever dealt with. We stuck to the superstructure and shielded ourselves from the current. Saw the cranes and the American flag too and did a pretty sweet swimthrough. Our max depth was 94 ft and it was a fabulous dive minus making sure I wasn't blown off the ship into the vast open water, especially on the last safety stop. My little hands were getting tired gripping onto that line!

Our second dive was 46 ft at French Reef which was alright, but nothing of course compared to the Spiegel Grove. I did see my first nurse shark- it was the size of my leg! It was a great weekend get away and I had a very nice time with Divergirl4u and friends. I havn't any pictures but I know one of the other divers took pictures- perhaps Divergirl4u will add them to this thread when she gets them.

Great report! Glad you had a good time and a chance to expand your diving experience.
Ber :lilbunny:

We were down there this past weekend also at Ocean Point. We were the drunkards by the pool Saturday night grilling feral cat:popcorn:

This was a club dive Saturday AM 2 reefs PM 2 Spiegel Groves with a nice current
Sunday Duane ripping current and a reef.

CMU... we were on the Spiegel as well on Sunday, AND then on to French Reef (also on a 20-pack). Wondering if you were on our boat, with Rainbow Reef Op. (Tropical Voyager). The Op was excellent, btw, considering the number of divers. They swapped the tanks, broke down the gear, were extremely helpful/friendly/attentive.

On the Spiegel, we came down on the wheelhouse, next to the flag. (Pic link below). The current was a trip on the way down... we were waving like flags off the mooring line, and again on ascent (the safety stops were a sight with everyone horizontal off the line)... however, once on deck, it settled down quite a bit, and was very manageable, even without handholds (see links)... Great dive... The Spiegel is a must for anyone wanting their breath taken away...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83168874@N00/252183333/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8316887...n/photostream/

Jibeho:
We were down there this past weekend also at Ocean Point. We were the drunkards by the pool Saturday night grilling feral cat:popcorn:

There was a herd of cats!

BKP:
CMU... we were on the Spiegel as well on Sunday, AND then on to French Reef (also on a 20-pack). Wondering if you were on our boat, with Rainbow Reef Op. (Tropical Voyager).

I was out with Ocean Divers. Nice pics, I can pretend that's me in one of them.

cmufieldhockey8:
I was out with Ocean Divers. Nice pics, I can pretend that's me in one of them.

Yep... I remember the Ocean Divers boat tearing past us, after the morning French Reef dive... (in a hurry to get home?).

Great report. Glad you had a better time on the Spiegal. You and Red both have torn up hands. She was in some current in Mexico.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom