Question E/O Cord socket, does this exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agro

Contributor
Reaction score
We all know E/O Cords or Thor Cords. Now I am looking for a socket for this system. The socket shall be fixed on my boat to give 12V to divers having a drysuit heating. Befor and after diving they can use the heating on board.

I could simply fix a E/O Cord on board but this is hanging around an disturbing. So I prefere a socket where I can plug an E/O Cord.

Victron 16A Edelstahl Einbau-Steckdose Something like that but E/O system.

Does this exist?

There are versions of that around, such as the "bulkhead connectors". Just had a look and can't find them :-(

E/O connectors are proprietary, so there's few manufacturers.

The good news (for you at least) is that most people will find their E/O connector cable will break at some time on their drysuit, generally where it goes in through the thermovalve.

They then end up with a short E/O connector which you might be able to use to mount on your boat.

Alternatively, make up an E/O cable which can be disconnected, maybe plugged into a cigarette lighter socket???

There are Thor Cords, compatibel to E-O Cords, they are said to be more reliable.

Bulkhead connector sounds good but I can not find it.

Yes the alterative is a plug such as cigarette lighter. But I prefere a pure E-O system.

Thanks for help.

This is probably what you're looking for but I have no idea where to find one.

It was from a drysuit bulkhead made by Light Monkey and I know that Dive Xtras used to use them as power take-offs on some DPVs

The problem I can see you having if you go with this idea is that people would have to sit very close to the plug as the E/O on their suit will be quite short. They would almost certainly need an extension cord.

I think the 12V cigarette lighter plug on an old E/O cable is a much better idea but personally I'd just plug into my battery and carry it about.

E-O-90-elbow.jpg

I would recommend using a standard marine 12v outlet and making an adapter cord to E/O. Will make it more useful since the continued use of EO cords is stupid since they are only used in scuba and will also allow you to make a long lead so they can move around. Remember that the bulkheads on the drysuits have extremely short cords so they'll need an extension of some variety anyway

Nichbutcher that's exactly what I am looking for. Great! Do you sell this part? The wire seems to be cut off, can I still reach the 2 cables for soldering?

I really would like to use a pure E-O Cord system for drysuit heating only. Yes I will need an E-O extension cable, that's for sure.

Great forum, great members, great help!

Nichbutcher that's exactly what I am looking for. Great! Do you sell this part? The wire seems to be cut off, can I still reach the 2 cables for soldering?

I really would like to use a pure E-O Cord system for drysuit heating only. Yes I will need an E-O extension cable, that's for sure.

Great forum, great members, great help!
This is an old one and that's why the cord has been cut off. As I said, I have no idea where to find them. If I did I would have bought one myself to replace it.

However, if you're planning to use an extension cable there is no need for this. You can fit whatever plug you like to the end of the extension cable and fit the matching socket on the boat.

E/O is only rated for a few hundred connection cycles and rarely lasts that long when people don't handle them correctly. Plus, it's an expensive solution when other, cheaper 12V DC connections are widely available.

Yes, qualitiy is rather poor. Nevertheless I'd like to have the E/O system all over, no other plug.

I asked DiveX, Light Monkey and Thor if they sell such a plug.

It’s a nice idea but not sure how useful it would be.

The old adage that there’s no such thing as being cold, just wearing the wrong clothes.

Drysuits are not the best thing to wear on the surface unless it’s really miserable weather. Personally I’d rather be in the cabin or sheltering behind it. Wearing one of those diver capes/poncho would be good to keep the wind off you which would be warmer.

The other issue with using heating on the surface is you can get a bit hot and sweaty as there’s no water cooling effect. Remember those E/O connectors have a limited number of disconnect cycles which would be the only way of turning it off.

Then there’s the inevitable "oops, I forgot I was connected" incidents possibly resulting in breaking [the very expensive E/O] cables, including the diver's side.

We are on a RIB, no cabin, very often it IS miserable weather. We are working underwater, one diver after the other. The first one has to wait quite a long time on board until the last one comes on board. Hot tea often is not enough, a suit heating is needed - in water and on board.

Getting hot and sweaty: this would be great but will not happen.

If you are freezing on board and plug in, you will not forget you are connected. You will feel the heat, be happy and say thank you to the cable. And if yet you forgot, I guess the E/O cord will simply plug out. They are not very hard to pull out.

So let's not discuss about the sense of all this. I will have a 12V heating supply on board, that's a fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom