DYFO # 2 - 24 - 27 Jun 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DYFO #2

Dive Your Face Off... I think we did

The suspense had been building for a whole year. The first DYFO was a marvelous gathering of wonderful people from the all over… many I have admired for their writing, photography and videos on SB, DMX and other online venues. This time there were some changes to the roster with quite a couple of “Mystery guests” that were to remain behind the veil of secrecy until we see them at the dock.

The MoCal story. Last year we were well represented with Ted, Nils, Team Bunny (Ken/Steve/August) Doc Wong and myself going. This year for one reason or another I found my self going solo… I even sought out some of the locals (and not so locals) to come along on this trip. One of the notables was James/FDog… he responded with a “Sorry I’m already commited to something. Okey Fine! If anyone would appreciate a boat full of scooters I knew he would!

Anyway of to SoCal I went. I arrived just in time to catch Peter and Lyne leaving for dinner. At diner the full roster became apparent as the mystery guests made dramatic entrances. Mystery guest # 1 was my old Fundies classmate Nick Ambrose and Jaime (LimeyX) It was a delight to be on the boat with Nick since we only see each other online and never really dove together besides the class many many many years ago.

Mystery guest # 2 was a greater surprise! James and Janet! Sly devils… He was feeling a wee bit guilty for deceiving me but he had been sworn to secrecy by the DYFO panel.

John and Robin were another dive couple whom I’ve never met before… they were a lot of fun and even entertained the thought of trying out a BP&W (I got a guy…Hey Tobin gotta minute?)

The last mystery guest was Andy Huber… UTD instructor extraordinaire. I’ve read about the man but never had the pleasure… it was great to hear him drop pearls of wisdom when you asked for advice.

Anyway dinner at CPK then it was back to the boat. We departed the dock at 0400 and the crossing was un eventful. We awoke to the anchor dropping and Captain Eric’s announcement of the first dive of the day…. From here on out most activities and dives sites were a blur… I tried to take notes when I could but between prepping to dive, and prepping to eat it seemed like I had very little time to jot down notes.. I tried to take some pictures to tell the story so here’s the highlights from DYFO #2

DYFO%202%20007.jpg

DYFO%202%20014.jpg

DYFO%202%20017.jpg

DYFO%202%20021.jpg

Don't you dare talk to me before I've had my first cup of coffee!

DYFO%202%20025.jpg

Sounder, James and Janet shilling out on the upper deck

DYFO%202%20031.jpg

DYFO%202%20037.jpg

Sounder: Yo
DYFO%202%20038.jpg

Last edited:
Ben, first off, good to see you!

I haven't been on in a while.

It sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Hope you are doing well.

Ben, first off, good to see you!

I haven't been on in a while.

It sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Hope you are doing well.

You post at 2 Am figuring no one's on line anyway... hehehe Busted.

It was a blast... I just wish I could have dragged all of you on the boat. :)

Hey Ben, put names to those pictures, in case we happen to run into them in Monterey (or elsewhere) :)
Glad you had a good time, I am totally looking forward to my trip next weekend. How many dives did you get in? Which boat?

Tic-Toc-Taco Night!

One thing about DYFO is the props! What's a Taco night without some themed props to liven up the party!

DYFO%202%20056.jpg

"I make this look good"

DYFO%202%20058.jpg

"Why yes... this is a big pepper on my head"

DYFO%202%20060.jpg

"Obviously, You've never seem a gentleman this hot"

DYFO%202%20063.jpg

DYFO%202%20065.jpg

Bob/NWGD practicing his OOA procedures

DYFO%202%20103.jpg

DYFO%202%20076.jpg

On the starboard side James was creating quite a stir with his Vespers and well stocked cooler of libations

DYFO%202%20085.jpg

It was the Peace -- a wonderful boat and an incredibly hard-working and tolerant crew. And the best cook on a dive boat anywhere!

DYFO%202%20098.jpg

"I have my party 'touche on Let's PARTY!!!"

DYFO%202%20101.jpg

"I said PARTY!!!"

DYFO%202%20105.jpg

"Okey that's better!"

DYFO%202%20106.jpg

"Dude come on.. loosen up a bit"

DYFO%202%20109.jpg

"See! Now these people know how to party!"

DYFO%202%20113.jpg

"I think she likes me..."