Dye Markers? Emergency water? Emergency rations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out this sticky.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ignalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html

Some of the information won't be as much use in foreign countries, but lots of it is useful anywhere.

One of the things I learned is that a strobe is visible for an astounding distance at night if the helo crew is wearing night vision goggles.

A dye pack is not that useful, but a whistle, Dive Alert-type air horn, signaling mirror, a safety sausage, and strobe light (and ability to clip it to the top of the sausage) are pretty basic and likely to be useful everywhere. No need for a dive Sherpa. And most likely the be useful for the live-aboard to come find you.

One other thing. A soft orange-colored hat (with a brim that goes all around to protect your face from the sun) is something to consider. I think they call them bucket hats. The hat can be rolled up and stuffed somewhere until needed (hopefully never).

To add to this, if you have a chemlight/ glowstick, you can dramatically improve your visibility with about three to five feet of line. Tie the line to the glowstick, break it, and swing it in a circle perpendicular to the aircraft as fast as you can. This wide, perfectly circular signal will also have movement, and naturally draw the eye to the light.

We use it to signal helicopters in theater. It works great at night.

A dye pack is not that useful

I did ocean searches from aircraft in the Navy, and sea dye is very useful, can be seen from miles away

Where does it end??? I feel like I'm preparing for a 3-hour tour with Gilligan!!!!!!!!

My son and I each have about 30 dives under our weight belts -- all from boats... and all in foreign countries. We are doing a 6-day liveaboard on the Cat Ppalu next month. Very excited.

Looking for thoughts on the efficacy of diving with ocean-safe dye markers, emergency water, and emergency ration bars. Just bought PLBs (FastFind 220's) for both of us (seemed prudent). The waterproof canisters will have a bit of extra room. Could probably stow a marker in each one.

Do rec divers generally recommend keeping one for emergencies? If so... which ones are recommended? I've seen some in tubes, and some in yellow tear-open pouches.
What about the water?
What about the ration bars?

A person could go crazy over all of this stuff. Sure it's all pretty small, and most of it fits neatly into pockets, cans, or on d-rings.... but my goodness.... really?

I'm all about safety.... but I'm also trying to be rational about all of it.

Thoughts???

If you're carrying a PLB you've got the most effective and most assured rescue device you can have for a real lost at sea emergency. After that it's a matter of devices that would be used in the intermediary situation before you get full blown lost a sea.

An SMB to prevent a bad situation from starting, a mirror for daytime, a light for night time after you've progressed from a bad situation to a worse one that the SMB didn't get you out of and then the PLB for the ultimate problem.

After that, anything you carry in addition is dead weight and a pain until you need it and then you'll be grateful you do have it.

I have never done any of these but there are a few simple things you could try. You could take one of these smaller flasks, fill it with water and stick it inside your wetsuit if you have a front zip suit. Plastic Flask for Runners Fill w Rum Wine 8pk Cruise | eBay I would not bother with food but you might consider an energy gel in a small tear top foil pack inside your suit as well. Energy Gels at REI If I were going to bring more water I would take a bottle full of water I use for kayaking and clip it to my harness.

IMG_2635.jpg

Back
Top Bottom