Dye Markers? Emergency water? Emergency rations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where does it end??? I feel like I'm preparing for a 3-hour tour with Gilligan!!!!!!!!

My son and I each have about 30 dives under our weight belts -- all from boats... and all in foreign countries. We are doing a 6-day liveaboard on the Cat Ppalu next month. Very excited.

Looking for thoughts on the efficacy of diving with ocean-safe dye markers, emergency water, and emergency ration bars. Just bought PLBs (FastFind 220's) for both of us (seemed prudent). The waterproof canisters will have a bit of extra room. Could probably stow a marker in each one.

Do rec divers generally recommend keeping one for emergencies? If so... which ones are recommended? I've seen some in tubes, and some in yellow tear-open pouches.
What about the water?
What about the ration bars?

A person could go crazy over all of this stuff. Sure it's all pretty small, and most of it fits neatly into pockets, cans, or on d-rings.... but my goodness.... really?

I'm all about safety.... but I'm also trying to be rational about all of it.

Thoughts???

The way I look at it, with the hundreds of dive operators and boats all over the world, and with the thousands and thousands of dives that are done, even in remote places, we hear one or two stories a year about people being swept away, and most of them are found. I do not carry water or food. I do carry a means to signal a boat -- in fact, where the locations are somewhat remote, I carry several. And when we did the Socorros, where there is no land within 100 miles, I carried a PLB as well.

I wouldn't worry 'bout that.......

Dye Markers are only effective for aircraft, and they have to be nearly overhead. They also don't work at night.

An SMB laid flat in the water does the same thing, and doesn't dissapate.

Your PLR would be more than good enough to signal your position.

You can carry water, but unless you have room for a few GALLONS, you're wasting your time. A few cups of water will be quickly (like in 12 hours) depleted, and then you're stuck. Food is a complete waste. You'll die of dehydration long before you starve, and if you eat that food, you need more water in order to digest it.

Dye Markers are only effective for aircraft, and they have to be nearly overhead. They also don't work at night.

An SMB laid flat in the water does the same thing, and doesn't dissapate.

Your PLR would be more than good enough to signal your position.

You can carry water, but unless you have room for a few GALLONS, you're wasting your time. A few cups of water will be quickly (like in 12 hours) depleted, and then you're stuck. Food is a complete waste. You'll die of dehydration long before you starve, and if you eat that food, you need more water in order to digest it.

Even from the air I'd actually question the effectiveness of the dye marker I carry. It's more psychological than anything I think. I tried one out a few years ago in relatively benign conditions and was surprised at how quickly it dissipated. Based on my trial you've probably only got a window of a few minutes. It had certainly completely disappeared by about the 3 minute mark. Like you say might be enough I guess if plane is straight over the top.

Where does it end??? I feel like I'm preparing for a 3-hour tour with Gilligan!!!!!!!!
Gilligan? You are being irrational. Think Mary Ann (or maybe Ginger)!

Safety gear is a good idea. Gear is a good idea. Take any gear you NEED. But not the kitchen sink. Over equipping yourself is not a good idea. Take only what you need. It all depends upon what type of conditions you dive.

High viz, low current, non wave Caribbean diving does not require anything special or extraordinary.

We do carry a very small whistle/sausage/mirror kit. Never needed it, but we might. This small kit matches the extreme of what we need for the conditions we dive in.

EPIRB, dye marker are over kill for where we dive. A credit card to pay for the taxi back to the resort may be more useful in many places.

When I am solo diving, I bring another diver along to carry all of my emergency equipment.

You can't be too careful when solo diving.

Oh oh! I see another PADI cert being developed as we speak..... Sherpa diver! Only need 30 dives as a prerequisite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our one liveaboard trip, we were required to have with us at all times a Dive Alert-type air horn, a very bright strobe light and a safety sausage. If divers did not own them, the company provided them to rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom