DWADD Thursday June 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T. Bix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As it turns out Thursday June 2nd is DWADD. (Ditch Work And Dive Day) Something sort of loosely instigated by our friends here on Scuba Board (Like Senior Skip Day for grown ups) I just got off the Phone with Captain Jim at Windy City Diving and he indicates that we have enough lead time right now to make a two dive charter happen! Nothing is in stone at this time but if there is enough interest we can firm it up and hit some Lake Michigan wrecks!!! How 'bout it?

June 2nd is officially my first day of summer break and diving on a wreck is something I plan to do this summer. But unfortunately June 2nd is already booked for me.

Okay so June 2nd is now three weeks away, Is there enough interest to run a charter? How many divers can we get to commit to some deep, cold, awesome wreck diving in Lake Michigan?

Okay so June 2nd is now three weeks away, Is there enough interest to run a charter? How many divers can we get to commit to some deep, cold, awesome wreck diving in Lake Michigan?

Tim, got some details? Cost? Any travel pools? overnighting it? What will be your itinerary? etc.? Thanks.

Great questions:
* I don't know what the minimum number of divers he needs to pull out of the dock but Captain Jim did say he wanted to do some side scan runs up to the north so I know he wants to run this charter.
* Cost is $115 for cash and he adds a $5 fee for credit cards.
* Travel pools unknown to me at this time.
* Overnighting: My beautiful wife has graciously agreed to open our humble home to our Wrecking Crew buddies as long as they're not picky about flopping where they land for the night.
* I believe we would shoot for a morning launch but as I also believe we would be the only thing going that day for the boat it can be flexible, Wilmette Harbor is very close to my house.
* He offered up the St. Mary which is at 105' and the City of Mackinac which is at 83' so there will be some surface interval and prolly a minimal deco obligation or extra long safety stop depending on agreed profiles and breathing gasses.

A little more info on this: We can pull out with as few as four divers but it will cost more and we will have to dive closer to Burnham harbor (Near downtown Chicago) If we fill the boat (6) we can just about dictate what we want to do. With four we can dive the same wreck twice which I personally have no problem with either the Mack or the Buck, The Thomas Hume is also a possibility but I think there is a fuel surcharge to get there. It's wide open but if we don't get enough commitments to make this work I will be diving prolly at Haigh if that works for anybody.

If I wasn't going to be in Cinncinatti that week I would definatly be in....however if y'all get another charter another time...let me know...

How soon do you need a commitment?

Hey Tim, just to let you know; I can't commit to this little adventure. By the time I add up my travel, food, charter fee, it makes for a pretty expensive hour/hour and a half diving two wrecks. If we were doing this for 3 or 4 days, I could justify it with my wallet. I've done some crazy time ratio stuff, like round trip boat travel out to the U-352 for 7 hrs. to dive that sub for 25 min. For me, your trip would really push the boundaries for time ratio. Hey, man, hope to see you soon around the local dive holes.

It looks like the DWADD charter isn't happening due to a variety of reasons but don't let any of those reasons disuade you from ditching work and pairing up to dive elsewhere! Or if someone else has some plans to do something simular I'd be interested in glomming onto your trip!

Back
Top Bottom