DVD Players

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBabe22

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a simple dvd player to attach/use with my TV at college...What should I look for when looking at specific players? I want a remote, and it to work, and spend less than $100...Any suggestions would be GREAT!

Just your basic DVD player is all you need, check Best Buy or Circuit City for the best price on a name brand unit and you will have what you need. I just bought one for $79.

sdstahl:
Just your basic DVD player is all you need, check Best Buy or Circuit City for the best price on a name brand unit and you will have what you need. I just bought one for $79.

Are there certain cables, ect that I would need to plug into my TV?

if possible you want to use component which are colored reg green and blue, but both your tv and your dvd need to have inputs outputs for these..after that svideo, which is a round cable with a lot of pins on the connector, and after that the yellow composite cable...thats the order of best picture quality...what connections do you have on your television?
and you should be able to pick up a dvd for less than 79..try amazon..

You hook these to your TV's "RCA inputs".
The RCA inputs are the audio/video plugs. Typically the video has a yellow plug and I think that audio is red and white. the DVD player will typically come with this cable.

If you're TV doesn't have RCA inputs (which is common), then you can buy a "modulator" at walmart or radio shack for $20-$30 bucks that will convert
a RCA input signal to regular cable coax and will be viewable on channel 3.

As for a cheap DVD, try the APEX brand. You can pick those up for around $30 bucks.
There are better quality brands out there, but I bought an APEX and have had it for a few years and works great. It's not a fancy one though and doesn't have as many features as the fancier brands.

One last option is to get one that is a DVD player and a VCR in one box. They run about $80 bucks (+/-), but also have the modulator built in and will run on normal coax/cable. We bought one of these to put in the den in order to reduce the "clutter" of devices around the TV (so we didn't have a DVD player and a seperate VCR, plus other stuff.)

mike_s:
You hook these to your TV's "RCA inputs".
The RCA inputs are the audio/video plugs. Typically the video has a yellow plug and I think that audio is red and white. the DVD player will typically come with this cable.

If you're TV doesn't have RCA inputs (which is common), then you can buy a "modulator" at walmart or radio shack for $20-$30 bucks that will convert
a RCA input signal to regular cable coax and will be viewable on channel 3.

As for a cheap DVD, try the APEX brand. You can pick those up for around $30 bucks.
There are better quality brands out there, but I bought an APEX and have had it for a few years and works great. It's not a fancy one though and doesn't have as many features as the fancier brands.

One last option is to get one that is a DVD player and a VCR in one box. They run about $80 bucks (+/-), but also have the modulator built in and will run on normal coax/cable. We bought one of these to put in the den in order to reduce the "clutter" of devices around the TV (so we didn't have a DVD player and a seperate VCR, plus other stuff.)

I do have the RCA inputs...thanks for everything!

ScubaBabe22:
I do have the RCA inputs...thanks for everything!

Good.

If you've got RCA inputs, then to see the DVD, make sure you select "Line input" also.

On my tv it's really easy, you just hit the "input" button. Your TV should be similar.

Well, for the care home we went and bought the cheapo/not a brand name one for 39 bucks and it works just fine. It had all the cables and a remote.

justleesa:
Well, for the care home we went and bought the cheapo/not a brand name one for 39 bucks and it works just fine. It had all the cables and a remote.

sweeeeeeeeet life!
Thanks for all the help! I'm trying to save money to spend when i go abroad next semester!

Hey Babe!
You can score a pretty slim little DVD player with remote and cables at Target for $39.00
I forget the brand name but I bought one last halloween and it's still going. It even plays MP3's and will read disks written / or copied on a computer too.... Even comes with the batteries in the remote (which are still going strong)........

Mad_diver not mad about my DVD player.......lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom