Dutch Springs this weekend? June 12, 13?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction:
Training dives? You're taking a class or just working on skills? Anything in particular?

I'm just dying to get into the water. Just picked up two new tanks...

Post DIR-F class training/practice dives working on trim/bounacy skills as well as out of gas drills, valve drills, etc... should be fun. It's a DIR Demo day with Bob Sherwood, so all are welcome to checkout his gear, ask questions, etc...

Hey aujax,

My wife and I live in Woodside, Queens and love to go to Dutch but we don't have a car. We sold them when we moved here from Florida six yrs. ago. Keep in touch. We are always interested in a trip. Also, I would love to try Round Valley sometime. It's in NJ just over an hour away. Doesn't sound awesome. Just a somewhat shallow, fresh water dive in a state park but sometimes I get bored with Dutch and like to try other local options. A lds is about 10-15 minutes on the way to the park for tanks and weights. Wet is better than dry right? I am always willing to pay for gas.

Jason

Actually I heard Round Valley is pretty cool. Used to be a town and some buildings remain. Not sure how in tact they are, but I know at least a few others who want to check it out sometime this season.

I read a great report about it on scubadiving.com but the town part worth seeing (according to the report) is very deep starting at about 130ft and on down to 180ft and is also about a 45 minute surface swim. To deep for me man! From what I have read on this board, the shallow area (about 40-60ft) does contain some leftover structures but not as big as what is found deeper. Mostly trees, stumps, crumbled wall piles, and some fish. I spoke to a local dive shop and they told me that a training platform is also in there and that it is about 75-77 on the surface and only down to about 65 degrees at 40 feet because it isn't spring fed, it's stagnant thus it heats up quickly. The park told me that it's only 5 bucks a car on weekdays to get in and 10 bucks on weekends for a car load. Very cheap. Plus, the park looks really nice. If anyone wants to make a trip, let me know. Weekday or weekend. You got a car, I pay for gas and entry. I'll see if I can find the link for the report.

scubadobadoo:
I read a great report about it on scubadiving.com but the town part worth seeing (according to the report) is very deep starting at about 130ft and on down to 180ft and is also about a 45 minute surface swim. To deep for me man! From what I have read on this board, the shallow area (about 40-60ft) does contain some leftover structures but not as big as what is found deeper. Mostly trees, stumps, crumbled wall piles, and some fish. I spoke to a local dive shop and they told me that a training platform is also in there and that it is about 75-77 on the surface and only down to about 65 degrees at 40 feet because it isn't spring fed, it's stagnant thus it heats up quickly. The park told me that it's only 5 bucks a car on weekdays to get in and 10 bucks on weekends for a car load. Very cheap. Plus, the park looks really nice. If anyone wants to make a trip, let me know. Weekday or weekend. You got a car, I pay for gas and entry. I'll see if I can find the link for the report.
I've been considering checking this place out. I've been there a few times, not diving.
There really isn't much info out there on it diving wise, except the report you posted by saturation.
I think the platforms are really just on the edge, it a really big body of water.

I don't think it's as deep as that all around.
I do remember, from looking at the park map (I have one around here somewhere), that there are some deep spots.
You can get a contoured map from the ranger station.

You couldn't begin to explore much from the spot designated for diving, unless you like surface swimming.
But, there is a boat ramp and I'm pretty sure you could put in a boat with up to a 9 hp engine.

Ok I remember reading that. Looks like there is some stuff in the 40-90' range, but probably much more to see further out in the deeper areas.

What do you think, this winter combo Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures class!?

Round Valley has only 1 spot where you can shore dive. Platform at 15', bottom substance @ 1 1/2'- 3' of pure silt. All other diving must be done from a boat in restricted areas. Sunken structures well beyond recreational limits....

Back
Top Bottom