Dutch Springs July 9/10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica,

You will see a couple of fish while you are there. Mostly bass and a few pumpkin seeds. Last weekend I saw a 5' long bass in the school bus. There are maps and slates available that show you all of the attractions in the quarry, and there are also lines connected to most of the attractions, so you can easily find several in one dive. A weekend will be sufficient to see everything. Visability is best first thing in the morning, around 8:00am. After that, it's about 15'. I was up there on the 4th and expected it to be packed, but there were only about 20 people there. I'm going this weekend as well and am expecting around 800 people, which I think is their normal summer weekend. DS is where a good portion of the tri-state dive shops have their check outs.

J.

nusspli:
Hi All,

I'm leaving from MA to go to Dutch Springs tomorrow. We'll be diving Saturday and maybe Friday too.

I've never been before & I'm hoping to get advice on what dives to do in such a short stay period.

Also, how is the visibility & is there any underwater life (besides frogmen) to see? I'll be bringing my UW camera.

Thanks!

-Jessica
www.jessicavasale.com

J75:
Jessica,

You will see a couple of fish while you are there. Mostly bass and a few pumpkin seeds. Last weekend I saw a 5' long bass in the school bus.
J.
I'd better get a Pvalve,
I'd of flooded my dry suit if I saw that 5' long bass!

darylm74:
I am looking to make a trip to Dutch Springs the weekend of July 9-11 to finally make my first dive with one of the full members. I've never been to Dutch Springs and wanted to know if there were any other camp grounds around the area other than camping right at Dutch Springs. My wife and I would prefer to have an open fire and have a couple drinks if we choose and I read that the Dutch Springs camping facility allows neither. Could someone please let me know if there are others in the area that are nice and also if anyone is interested that weekend.

Thanks

Daryl

How were your dives? How was the vis for you? Let me know when you will be back to DS. Maybe we can try to set up a dive.

Thomas

Tom,

I had a great time at Dutch Springs. The dives with John (Junko) and Bob (Scubabob123) were great. We had a good time uh, getting lost a couple times. The other guy, Will, that dove with us was very nice too. I could not have asked for a nicer group of guys to dive with on Saturday. We got two dives in and got to see most of the stuff there. The visibility was great and the temp was not too bad with the 7mm, though can't wait to get my drysuit training. I set up a dive with a group that was camping close to me and they hooked me up with another guy. We got down there and they were suppose to leave us a reel line to follow but we never found it. We ended up doing a lot of fast swimming and was only down for 28 minutes with the speed of swimming we were doing. The visibility was not near as nice on Sunday and we were both upset about not finding the reel, but we got along great and it was a great dive none the less. I hope to be back down in August some time. It is going to depend on work and possibly surgery on my wrist for carpal tunnel, though going to try to push that off till the first of the year. I will at the very least have my drysuit training by then and possibly have my advanced, so that I can do night dive.

I believe I mentioned that I met up with scuba-punk but he was taking the DIR class and so I only got to speak with him. I didn't know if Jessica or anyone else made it. Perhaps we should get a few more banners out with the wreck valley dive club and also get permission to use scubaboard.com's name on it too. Could be a lot of people that read the forum and don't know about the club.

I will let everyone know when I will be back out that direction. I can't wait to dive there again, though John and I talked about doing Long Island if we can find someone with experience there. Once again I want to thank everyone for all the kindness and it was great to finally meet everyone....

....and on that note since I dove with scubabob123 and junko, who are members, uhm, does that mean I'm a full member now???? :eyebrow:

daryl

darylm74:
....and on that note since I dove with scubabob123 and junko, who are members, uhm, does that mean I'm a full member now???? :eyebrow:
glad you had a good time.
and yes, that makes you and scubabob123 full diving members.
remember to shoot me a note if you induct any new members yourself.

given that the news reports are wrong and wall street doesn't blow up, i'll be putting out a new roster, hopefully later today.
if it does, i'm pretty sure i can make the swim to ellis island or jersey city.
hmmm... i should probably add some snorkle gear to my bail out bag.

if anyone has any additions or updates to the roster, please send me a PM.

Daryl, that was a lot of fun--thanks for joining us...It was nice to meet Tom also, I hope your dives were good...

We were talking about maybe going to the Rail Road Bridge in Point Pleasant, NJ at some point (as some of the others in WV have done) to do a shore dive. Maybe that would be a better bet than Long Island since there is more info about it.

John

darylm74:
Tom,

I had a great time at Dutch Springs. The dives with John (Junko) and Bob (Scubabob123) were great. We had a good time uh, getting lost a couple times. The other guy, Will, that dove with us was very nice too. I could not have asked for a nicer group of guys to dive with on Saturday. We got two dives in and got to see most of the stuff there. The visibility was great and the temp was not too bad with the 7mm, though can't wait to get my drysuit training. I set up a dive with a group that was camping close to me and they hooked me up with another guy. We got down there and they were suppose to leave us a reel line to follow but we never found it. We ended up doing a lot of fast swimming and was only down for 28 minutes with the speed of swimming we were doing. The visibility was not near as nice on Sunday and we were both upset about not finding the reel, but we got along great and it was a great dive none the less. I hope to be back down in August some time. It is going to depend on work and possibly surgery on my wrist for carpal tunnel, though going to try to push that off till the first of the year. I will at the very least have my drysuit training by then and possibly have my advanced, so that I can do night dive.

I believe I mentioned that I met up with scuba-punk but he was taking the DIR class and so I only got to speak with him. I didn't know if Jessica or anyone else made it. Perhaps we should get a few more banners out with the wreck valley dive club and also get permission to use scubaboard.com's name on it too. Could be a lot of people that read the forum and don't know about the club.

I will let everyone know when I will be back out that direction. I can't wait to dive there again, though John and I talked about doing Long Island if we can find someone with experience there. Once again I want to thank everyone for all the kindness and it was great to finally meet everyone....

daryl

junko:
Daryl, that was a lot of fun--thanks for joining us...It was nice to meet Tom also, I hope your dives were good...

John

My dives were ok. I'd still like to get the chance to dive with a Regular member soon though. I am pleased I got to finally meet some of you, but it's rough knowing so many WV'ers were at DS and not getting to dive with one of you's.

Anyone up for a Sunday dive this upcoming weekend?

Thomas :14:

Back
Top Bottom