Dutch Springs Blast Shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmatmess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever found the dynamite shack near the back wall? My buddy and I want to look for it this Saturday. I found information on njscuba.net on where it is but was wondering if anyone has ever dove to it? Is it worth diving to? Anyone have better directions to it? Thanks for the info in advance.
Tim

Yep, been out there a couple of times. Not a big deal since there isn't much to see. The viz has really been crappy this year, even out at the deep points. I believe it's basically a west of the crane.

More details can be found on our website. Someone can probably give you compass headings.

www.wreckvalley.com/forum

Join the club, it doesn't cost anything, plenty of info on everything. Boats, local diving, cave diving, etc.

The Dynamite shack is almost due south from the south side of the submerged island when swimming from the crane. Just as you swim around the end of the island from the crane and your compass indicates 170 degrees, keep that heading. You will swim over what we call the road bed (a wide ditch) and on the south bank of the ditch sits the dynamite shack. near the shack is the old safety bunker and a standing telephone pole. Since this is not a marked item, we only ask that if you find it not to deface it or damage it in anyway. It looks like a large beer can!

I dove the shack and the "hole" this past Saturday, and these directions worked like a charm:

From the crane, head to the western tip of the island and around the "back" side of the island. The first tree you come across -- between 35 and 45 feet -- is you starting point. Take a compass heading of 200 from the tree. In a few minutes, you'll be at the shack. And, yes, the viz was pretty bad there, too. From the shack, a 210 heading will take you past the sandbag bunker, some large pipes, and eventually to "the hole" -- which is about 100 feet deep. You'll know you're there when you enter a rather eerie cloud of white silt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom