Duracell batteries in Dorcy light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfolsom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently needed a flashlight and had my Dorcy II handy. It did not come on when I twisted the top so I figured it needed new batteries. When I opened it there was a great deal of positive pressure. The battery holder was corroded and the switch was ruined. There was also some corrosion in the bottom of the case. I thought the light had leaked salt water and I did not catch it. I contacted Dorcy via email and they responded right away. They informed me that they were seeing a problem with Duracell and Costco batteries off-gassing causing positive pressure in their lights. I was certainly not aware of this and have two of these lights both of which had Duracell batteries in them. I opened the second light and it too had positive pressure but fortunately was OK. Now Dorcy replaced the bad light with no questions asked and I have changed brands of batteries. I also contacted Proctor and Gamble, makers of Duracell, to see what reaction I will get from them.

Conclusions
Do not use Duracell batteries in a sealed device
Dorcy is a good company with great consumer relations
Duracell, Proctor and Gamble consumer relations tbd

Dorcy recommends Energizer or DieHard batteries and sent some along with the replacement light.

I had the same thing happen. I just assumed that I'd flooded the light.

Good to know.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I always remove the batteries from my Dorcy after a dive trip and store it without batteries. I don't trust any brand of battery to behave itself during months-long storage. I vaguely recall seeing another thread about this problem.

I had the same issue with mine with std Duracell AAA's. Switched to commerical grade Duracell Procells from Battery Junction and not one problem in the last two years. There is a difference in them.

I also remove all batteries from all devices before I rinse/store them. (Lights, strobes, beacons)

From Wikipedia regarding Alkaline battery leaks:
The reason for leaks is that as batteries discharge — either through usage or gradual self-discharge — the chemistry of the cells changes and some hydrogen gas is generated. This out-gassing increases pressure in the battery. Eventually, the excess pressure either ruptures the insulating seals at the end of the battery, or the outer metal canister, or both. In addition, as the battery ages, its steel outer canister may gradually corrode or rust, which can further contribute to containment failure.

When you twist a light on and off there's a pressure difference as the light makes contact with the battery to complete it's circuit. I can't remember how many turns it takes to get a Dorcy on, but perhaps it's enough to exacerbate this issue with old batteries.

I have had issues with Duracell batteries and positive pressure in a couple of lights, I now use Energizers

Lost a DRIS 1000 this way. I too now always store with batteries out.

I had a non sealed headlight get trashed by Duracell AAA batteries. Hmmm...is there a trend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom