Durable Safe Reliable Regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HoyaSaxa

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new here, but I've been diving for about 15 years. I am finally ready to buy a regulator and need some advice.

I have about $300 to spend on a 1st and 2nd stage set. I've looked at the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe and the Dacor American viper. I have no idea how to choose between them.

I am a recreational diver who never uses anything other than regular air. I stay above 120' and don't dive in cold water. I have, however, been at 100' when both my primary and octopus failed, and I didn't enjoy having to buddy dive with only ten minutes of air left in my buddy's tank!

So, I really want a regulator that will be reliable and safe. I will get it serviced yearly, but I'm not equiped to handle a lot of on-site tinkering and adjustments.

A control to adjust the flow of air would be a nice feature.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!
-- Brian

personally i'd go with the zeagle, but that's just brand preference on my part, i've never dove the dacor, but i've always heard good things about zeagle

Personal preference... If I were buying a new set-up, I'd go with Scubapro:

1st stage: MK16 (or MK25 for a bit more)
2nd stage: X650
Octopus: AIR2

That is more or less the up-to-date version of what I dive with now. I love getting rid of the extra octupus cord, the rig ALWAYS performs, and I find that just about every place I;ve ever been has Scubapro parts at some dive shop or another (not that one needs them often... but when you do!!). The second stage is a bit rare, but whenever we who have it see each other on a boat, we always rave about it compared to more convential mouth pieces.... the air flow control works great.

This is a touch more than you requested... maybe around $400.

HoyaSaxa:
What about Aeris?

I have an Atmos Pro and having dove on only a few regulator I like it a lot. In my opinion for the price it is quite good. I found it better than all the Sherwoods and some old rental scubapros that I had in training. It was also nicer than the bottom of the line Atomics that the LDS had as demos.

I am fanatical about those two properties. The Sherwoods, Aqua Lung Titans, and the Scubapro Mark 2 are the paradigm for those properties. Not the best breathers out there, perhaps, but tough as a range bull, and extremely reliable.

The Zeagle Envoy seems like a great reg, and will probably be my next purchase, but has not been around long enough to truly compare with those mentioned above. Personally, I think it will prove to be a great one, and Zeagle has a great reputation for service, as well.

These days, I only dive about 140 to 150 dives a year, but I still apply the parameters I used when I dived a lot, and amassed a bunch of dives between services.
That said, in my opinion, for the average sport diver, any reg for which competent service is readily available will do just fine.

An SP Mk 2 R190 or Mk 2 R390 would fit your under $300 budget and is about as simple and reliable as it gets for a regulator. Breathing performance is also pretty good out of the box and can be improved quite a bit with a tech willing to set the cracking effort lower (at around 1.0" of water) rather than the specified 1.4" to 1.6".

Several divers I know use them to 130-140 ft and in water as cold as 33 degress with no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom