Dunderberg Photos Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladephotog

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all! Here are some photos from my dive on the Dunderberg July 9, in Lake Huron. It's a three-masted schooner that sank in 1868 following a collision with the steamer Empire State. It rests in about 155 feet of water with the deck at about 135. And it is incredibly intact. All photos were taken with a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22 in an Ikelite housing, 8" dome port and dual DS-50's.

dunderberg_11lg.jpg

dunderberg_03lg.jpg

dunderberg_02lg.jpg

dunderberg_04lg.jpg

Looks like a nice wreck indeed. What's the nearest US city to that wreck? And what's the nearest canadian one?

did only lake Ontario (as for the great lakes) and wrecks are completely covered by zebra mussels.

Great cold water shots.

Looks like visibility was excellent, water looks damned cold though :D

Thanks all. The nearest US city is Harbor Beach, Michigan, in the Thumb area. The wreck lies about five miles out and is about a 20 min. boat ride. I don't know what the nearest Canadian town is as it's on the other side of the lake.

Lake Ontario is heavy with mussels as that's where they first came in. But still fantastic diving. They haven't hit Superior hard yet though which is great.

We had about 40 feet of visibility and the water temp was 40 F. But I didn't really notice the cold much with this great of a wreck. I did welcome the thermoclines very much when we did our deco stops. :D

Excellent job! Nice and clear, too, no backscatter.

Very sweet!!

Back
Top Bottom