Dump Valve Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Minor incident happened to me on Saturday that might be useful to share...

Halfway through a dive, I reached back grabbed my dump valve, went head down a little, pulled, and came away with my rear dump valve in my hand.

First thought was to signal buddy. Next thought was to check depth and time, which was 30 mins at 50 feet on a dive which had a max depth of around 90 feet. Next thought was to figure out how this would affect the rest of the dive. Worst case I'd need gas to be able to walk up the dive ladder onto the boat with my reg in my mouth -- diving double 130s gas was not an issue.

So, it was an okay time to try to fix this issue. I hung my light over my neck temporarily, got my double ender out and clipped my HID off to my right d-ring to get my hands free. By this time my buddy had his wetnotes out and we had communicated what the problem was. I gave him the dump valve and he tried to put it on. Lesson #1: don't try to wrestle stuff like this while neutral. I wound up inverted, breathing wet through my reg and apparently failing around enough that I kicked his reg out. At that point I flashed the 'hold' sign and we stopped before we got too much farther into CF-land. Trying a different approach, I dumped all the gas out of my wing and got myself stabilized onto the bottom where he could get some leverage to screw the dump valve back in without turning me over. That got it fixed pretty quick.

After the dump valve was seated, I put some air back in the wing and got neutral, then shifted the air back to the dump valve and made certain that it felt screwed in, that it felt like it held air under pressure, and that the dump valve correctly operated. I still stayed off the dump valve the rest of the dive and used the inflator hose to dump, and also kept the reg in my mouth on the surface and going up the dive ladder since I didn't trust the valve and therefore didn't trust my buoyancy. Back on the boat, inspection showed that everything was fine and I was just being paranoid.

What had happened was that my normal motion to find the string on the dump valve is a CCW loop with my index finger. Over the course of 40-50 dives that had managed to finally losen the dump valve until it came off. I hadn't felt it losening when I was dumping because the smurf gloves don't give me that much tactile feedback.

Back on the boat everyone chatted a bit about it. Checking the dump valve as part of a pre-dive check, or regular equipment check is probably a good idea. Trying to retrain myself to use a CW motion to find the string instead of CCW may help as well. I also didn't realize that one of the good points about having equipment by the same manufacturer is that the dump valve on the semi-closed bags that we carry are interchangable with the wing dump valve. It was also pointed out (something which I had thought about while this happened) that even without a dump valve you can still trap a lot of gas on the other side and the top of the wing, plus I've got a drysuit as a backup. We also went over how the response would have been different if this hadn't been a recreational dive, but a technical decompression dive, and the thought seemed to be that lack of a dump valve wouldn't affect deco, deco took precidence over the dump valve, that there wouldn't be time at most of the deeper stops, and that it really didn't need to be fixed until the surface so probably shouldn't be -- the dump valve could have been stuck in pockets or wetnotes or just ditched and the problem addressed on the surface.

After having had an LP inflator hose bubble prior to that dive and need to be replaced, losing the dump valve, feeling a little light after having changed my insulation around, and (most importantly) noticing that I was building up a lot of frustration instead of just rolling with the problems, I decided it was not my day so didn't dive the second dive.

Way to stay calm and collected. Awesome team work with your buddy too. The stop, think, then act mantra can really help out. I hope I can stay as focused as you did when incidents come my way.

And it does underline the fact that everything on scuba gear needs regular check ups and maintence.

Glad you got everything sorted and all involved are okay and sounds like everyone learned a little something.

Lamont,
A bit I'm unclear on is, why was there a need to try to fix it ? You couldn't use the LP inflator hose instead? I think I've missed the point so could you explain - BTW I'm not trying to be a clever clogs I just didn't get what you were saying.

dbulmer:
Lamont,
A bit I'm unclear on is, why was there a need to try to fix it ? You couldn't use the LP inflator hose instead? I think I've missed the point so could you explain - BTW I'm not trying to be a clever clogs I just didn't get what you were saying.
Well this resulted in his bladder having a rather large hole in it where the lower dump valve used to be. If fixing it is an option, I'd much rather fix it.

Pants!,
Yo know those moments when the blindingly obvious is suddenly revealed - :) !
Thanks, I shall go away now and sulk that I didn't get it.

Had a student have that happen on his OW check-out, you should have seen the look on his face ROFLMAO! He was acting weird and then he pulls his hand back from his hip dump and shows me the piece. All I could think was "give me that before you lose it". We were in a shallow quarry (25 ft) and we were doing the tour part so we went ahead and aborted the dive. The long surface swim was no problem as far as buoyancy was concerned even with the valve missing.
Ber :lilbunny:

Lamont,
I really don't mean to criticize (you can dive any way you want, as long as I'm not responsible :05: ), but I don't understand the reasons for using a dump valve at all during the course of a 'normal' dive. To my understanding, the smaller flow rate of air you can release from your inflator hose should be enough to manage buoyancy.

Advantages:
- you don't need to search for your hose like you do for a dump valve (and so you wouldn't end up unscrewing it...)
- inflator assembly on the hose is generally built more robustly than dump valves are
- your hand stays in a position where you can easily go from gas release to other tasks
- you're using the inflator hose anyways to add gas; so using the same motion to add/release gas rather than 2 different ones seems like less task loading

I can't think of many disadvantages...

Of course this has nothing to do with dealing with a dump valve failure, and it seems like you handled/analyzed things just fine.

Cheers

mpenner:
Lamont,
I really don't mean to criticize (you can dive any way you want, as long as I'm not responsible :05: ), but I don't understand the reasons for using a dump valve at all during the course of a 'normal' dive. To my understanding, the smaller flow rate of air you can release from your inflator hose should be enough to manage buoyancy.

Advantages:
- you don't need to search for your hose like you do for a dump valve (and so you wouldn't end up unscrewing it...)
- inflator assembly on the hose is generally built more robustly than dump valves are
- your hand stays in a position where you can easily go from gas release to other tasks
- you're using the inflator hose anyways to add gas; so using the same motion to add/release gas rather than 2 different ones seems like less task loading

I can't think of many disadvantages...

Of course this has nothing to do with dealing with a dump valve failure, and it seems like you handled/analyzed things just fine.

Cheers
You stay pretty vertical while diving, don't you?

If you were to (Gasp!!) go out of trim and assume a head up position most of the air in your BC would presumably stay there?

mpenner:
Lamont,
Re-read Pants response to dbulmer

pants:
Well this resulted in his bladder having a rather large hole in it where the lower dump valve used to be. If fixing it is an option, I'd much rather fix it.

Back
Top Bottom