Dumbing down of scuba certification courses (PADI) - what have we missed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
In diving the critical survival skills are not developed and tested a little bit at a time, they are not taught in entry level courses, they are put off for future elective courses that may never be taken.

Some of those critical skills are never taught in future classes.

sweatfrog:
The quasi-military Instructor attitude started slowing down in the early 80's

That attitude has always been rare. The concept that prior to PADI lowering it's standards most classes included 5 mile runs with full gear, weapons training and ¼ mile swims is a myth. The comprehensive approach to dive training is actually easier.

sweatfrog:
PADI had an Advanced plus course that was the same as NAUI's Master Scuba Diver and it fell on it's face.

You've either not looked at the PADI Advanced Plus course or you don't know what's involved in the NAUI Master Diver course. Advanced Plus was a pretty good advanced class, but it was only 9 dives along with some academics. It was better than any of the AOW classes, but not up to YMCA Silver Advanced standards and far short of both NAUI's Master Diver or YMCA's Gold Master Diver.

sweatfrog:
At the beginning level, those people have enough to think about to take care of themselves

Unfortunately, they aren't usually given the skills to do so.

leapfrog:
Most new divers also do some research before signing up for a program.

Well, only if you consider asking, "How much?" to be research.

I didn't read the whole thread above so maybe you already had some comments from people who got trained under the current PADI system.

I had open water in July 2008
Did a couple boat charter dive with insta-buddies
Did Advanced open water in October and a couple more fun dives
More fun dives on the schedule as soon as I can do them :)

Observations about my instructors/classes

1 - Not everyone passes the first time - granted most do -- 99%+ but....
The instructors will and have asked people who had problems to come back to the next open water sessions to do the skills again. They did have a few extra instructors at the site for our class and did some one on one lessons with a person having problems with the skills.

2 - They STRESSED the very important rules of scuba
Don't hold your breath ever -- Be very aware of your air and depth -- Safety stops -- ascending at the correct rate -- Equalizing your ears often and don't force your dive if they hurt.

3 - They made people do the skills right - over and over and over until it was perfect.

Now are all the students from the basic open water class ready to take on advanced dives with challenging circumstances? Nope, but I do feel the instructors did a good job giving the students the skills and information they need to begin to be divers.

The instructors were all positive and made the whole experience fun and exciting.
I think that works a lot better then adding stress to people by making it a military exercise.

Anyhow thats just my 2 cents I am just a noob to diving :)

FlyinV,

First of all, thanks for your 2 cents worth. I am glad to read that you have had an enjoyable experience and come away from your OWD and AOWD training with a positive appreciation of your instructors and training.

As you have been reading, there are antagonistic points of view about training agencies, courses and certifications.

Freedom of speech is important and I have found that it is practiced here with a great deal of respect for the other persons point of view.

If you'll allow me to give you my 2 cents:

1. At the end of the day it's the instructor, not the agency that makes the difference. There are good and bad everywhere.

2. All certification agencies strive to improve the quality of their instructors, materials, teaching system, courses and so on. If they don't they will lose market share and eventually disappear.

3. PADI enforces an ever stricter quality control on instructors and course directors (the instructors of the instructors). As a PADI member, I am required to report anything I see or know of that does not comply to standards, such as an instructor certifying a student who has not adequtely performed the skills.

4. PADI is present in just about every country in the world, so you could say that it is universally recognised.

5. Some of the gentlemen who have a negative view on the organization and post their views on this and other threads often have valid points that are worth considering. I invite positive criticism.

6. Unfortunately, there are recurring comments to persuade readers that these are universal truths, such as: "PADI has lower standards", "PADI is a negative influence on the industry" and so on.

None of this holds any truth at all.

PADI standards are based on tried and tested methods in order to teach people to scuba dive at an affordable cost and in a reasonable time frame. The standards are clear and you have mentioned in your thread that the students on your OW course had to perform the skills and if they were having difficulty get special attention.

PADI does not have a negative influence on the industry. In many parts of the world it accounts for 70% of all diving certifications. PADI is the basis of the industry. If I wasn't a PADI Instructor, I would not be able to work full time as an instructor. Ask the Equipment Manufacturers what they think of PADI.

Keep diving. Start thinking about doing your Rescue Diver course and ENJOY!

A person who starts dive training can't grasp skills at the same level as a Divemaster either. The skills that people need, should be nurchured and polished as they gain more experience. This should be accomplished in the pool or Open Water, during and after their first class.

Every Instructor has been given 'that look', when they tell someone they need to practice their mask clearing skills, or any skill for that matter, so that it becomes second nature to them. There's a line between certifying someone and telling them to go back to the pool for remediation. If the Instructor has people doing poorly in the Open Water, s/he needs to reflect on why that is happening.

That attitude has always been rare. The concept that prior to PADI lowering it's standards most classes included 5 mile runs with full gear, weapons training and Ž¼ mile swims is a myth. The comprehensive approach to dive training is actually easier.
I have seen the Y card, as I'm sure you have also that lists physical exercises that are to be accomplished before you complete the class. The drop out rate when I first got certified was high. There was a lot of swimming involved in those early courses.

You've either not looked at the PADI Advanced Plus course or you don't know what's involved in the NAUI Master Diver course. Advanced Plus was a pretty good advanced class, but it was only 9 dives along with some academics. It was better than any of the AOW classes, but not up to YMCA Silver Advanced standards and far short of both NAUI's Master Diver or YMCA's Gold Master Diver.
I did teach the AOW+ Course, so I know what it involved. I also saw the NAUI Manual back then, but since you probably have most of the Instructor Manuals, I bow to your expertise. It's a moot point anyway, since the AOW+ course was dropped a long time ago.

Unfortunately, they aren't usually given the skills to do so.
If the Insurance companies agreed with you, the sport of Scuba Diving, as we know it, wouldn't exist.

We do as related to the left wing decisions that have been made to shore up our financial system, or rather the players. I don't think there is a mixed economy in the diving industry but maybe you can enlighten me.
e.g., MAP is neither left wing nor free market.
If people have inadequate information there must be a reason for it. However, people have more common sense than you give them credit for. They overwhelmingly decide to head for a LDS that offers them a training program that trains about a million divers a year. I think the point you are trying to make is that they may have other choices. However if the other agencies don't make themselves be known, you can hardly blame the market leader. I am working as an independent now. So my students come to me because they trust me and then they want a recognised qualification that they can travel with. If I said fine, I can train you but the cert card is going to be the Inter Galatic Divers on Mars card or something else they had never heard of they would seek training elsewhere. Most new divers also do some research before signing up for a program. I think what annoys you is that many people have those resources as far as learning to dive is concerned and still decide to go with the market leader. Again, you can't blame that agency for the shortcomings of the others in getting their message out there. Frankly, I would welcome a more competitive environment which would do us all a better service.
Your observations do not jibe with mine. I'd say that students don't make a choice of agency or even program, in most cases they have no idea that there is an actual choice to make. They go to the closest shop and sign up, or the operator at the resort, in the rare case where there is an actual choice of vendors, "what agency?" is a question that is almost never asked, they want assurance that their certification will be recognized when they travel, but that's about it. When a rare student does ask questions about agency differences, all the get from the PADI shops is the half-truth that so easily hides incompetence, "it's the instructor not the agency," which recognizes only the within agency variability and the quality at the bottom of an agency's teaching cadre, but not the difference between agency means or (even more telling) at the upper end of the instructional programs.
TRUE. So as I have been saying all along, if people walk into the first place and find a given agency, it's clear to me that the others have a distribution problem, in other words they don't have enough points of sale. As I said before, I would rather be talking to would-be students about the merits of training with Agency A vs. B vs C vs D than having the actual situation where we are all offering what appears to be the same program (the instructor and the facility makes the difference) and people saying "yeah but I can get it for $25 or $50 less down the street".
There is no question that PADI has done the best possible job of marketing, they did such a good job that they are a virtual monopoly, but the way in which they did that reveals more about their underlying philosophy ... cut standards and inflate titles. Now that maybe good marketing, but that's all it is.
I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you that calling people with 10 logged dives AOW or 50 logged dives Master Scuba Divers is "course title inflation". However, what seems easy for those of us who live and work inside the business requires time, dedication and a considerable financial effort on the part of our students. Course title inflation is practised by the majority of agencies. Why? Because it works and makes people keep diving which we all agree is a good thing. Unfortunately, this doesn't only exist in our industry. Nowadays everyone you meet is a Senior Vice President. A baggage handler at an airport is a "Customer Service Auxiliary Equipment Officer".
PADI started this trend, which I will grant you has spread. Just because others have adopted it doesn't make it right, it just shows how effective it is with an uninformed public.
I am an advocate for a recreational, non professional qualification beyond MSD where students would have the knowledge and skills of a certified DM leaving out the parts of assisting the instructor.
I have special feelings about this. I introduced the concept of Master Diver to the recreational world when I revised all of NAUI's Standards back in the 1980s. MSD was a rating that was designed to be all the elements of the NAUI Instructor program without the teaching theory, group control, and internal NAUI bumph. A NAUI MSD was the equal (as a diver) of any NAUI Leadership rank. In fact a NAUI MSD could become an instructor by taking a greatly abbreviated program that dealt with just those items, since there was no need for diving skill and knowledge instruction or testing. IT was a way to try and stablilize a system that would first produce truly expert divers and then permit those that had qualified as experts, who had the interest, to move on to various leadership roles. This contrasts with the current system that makes instructors out out people who really don't have suffcient diving experience to take on that role, but are willing to work for fast-food wages.
Some 30 people of all nationalities were killed in the Alps last winter. In France last year, according to official government statistics, 12 people died on piste and 10 off piste, and doctors treated 140,000 injuries. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents says that about 10,000 British skiers and snowboarders visit hospitals on their return from holiday with injuries ranging from concussion and broken bones to torn ligaments. Data from the United States showed that 22 skiers and snowboarders died last year.Of course, injuries do occur. The less experienced you are as a skier or snowboarder, the more likely you are to hurt yourself. Thanks to better piste preparation and safety barriers, injuries resulting from collisions with static pylons and trees have fallen. However, collisions with other skiers and snowboarders have increased sharply and now account for 10 per cent of all injuries. Most vulnerable are those aged under 11 and over 55. (Source: Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)
The question was not if people were hurt or killed while skiing, the question was how many brand new skiiers where killed or injured.
That's very good. Not everybody wants to spend 100 hours to find out if they want to Scuba dive, that's why there are shorter, modular programs that advocate that people then go on to do additional training.
I'm not advocating 100 hours for everyone. An effective course can be taught in about 40 hours.
Not at all? About what?
I believe the opposite. We'd go back to the pre 1980s and have very few divers doing quasimilitary diving programs. There wouldn't be an industry for the instructors, the LDS, the tour operators and the equipment manufacturers.
This is a red herring. Such programs were few and far between and did not exist prior to PADI. Open Circuit training was invented by the science community in the early 1950s. We taught it to the Navy and the recreational community. It was not until PADI starting giving Instructor cards to anyone with a $10 bill who could write a letter claiming they had performed scuba training that such procedures appeared in the recreational community. Where did it show up? Amongst PADI Instructors, of course. People who had mustered out of the service and then sent their $10 to PADI with a note that they had trained divers in the service. But even so, it was pretty rate, but now PADI Instructors (forgetting, or not knowing, their own origins) keep harping on that as one of the big changes ... it's such B.S.
I don't doubt what you say. How many students do you certify per year?
I used to train about forty entry level divers, twenty Master Divers, twenty AIs, twenty DMs and ten Instructors per year. Now I only train about ten divers a year, based on either past associations or travel that I'm interested in making.
Any diver who does not sign up for additional programs does not get trained in those critical skills unless they latch onto a really good mentor.
That attitude has always been rare. The concept that prior to PADI lowering it's standards most classes included 5 mile runs with full gear, weapons training and Ž¼ mile swims is a myth.
But it's a myth that keeps getting repeated and repeated by people who where not there and have no idea of what was actually going on, it's become a justification and a false one at that. It's recreational diving at it's usual "best," a solution in search of a problem.
The comprehensive approach to dive training is actually easier.
Of course it is.
You are quite correct. You'd think that anyone who wants to see a certain kind of program would be familiar with existing programs that are exactly what they are asking for.
I didn't read the whole thread above so maybe you already had some comments from people who got trained under the current PADI system.

I had open water in July 2008
Did a couple boat charter dive with insta-buddies
Did Advanced open water in October and a couple more fun dives
More fun dives on the schedule as soon as I can do them :)

Observations about my instructors/classes

1 - Not everyone passes the first time - granted most do -- 99%+ but....
The instructors will and have asked people who had problems to come back to the next open water sessions to do the skills again. They did have a few extra instructors at the site for our class and did some one on one lessons with a person having problems with the skills.
That's all very nice, but rather irrelevant to the topics at hand.
2 - They STRESSED the very important rules of scuba
Don't hold your breath ever -- Be very aware of your air and depth -- Safety stops -- ascending at the correct rate -- Equalizing your ears often and don't force your dive if they hurt.
Do you think that's all the important things that need to be learned about diving? Just one example: Safety Stops, given a 30 FPM ascent rate, are irrelvent. But PADI's tables have a 60 FPM ascent rate built into them, thus making safety stops of some utility. Did you know that? Did you know that the ascent rate is a integral part of the decompression model and can be changed as long as the tables are changed to deal with the new ascent rate?
3 - They made people do the skills right - over and over and over until it was perfect.
Did you perform a minimum of 17 practice sessions for sharing air? Did you know that according to research done at UCLA that is what's required to have 95% confidence that you will be able to successfully perform air sharing in a non-emergency situation?
Now are all the students from the basic open water class ready to take on advanced dives with challenging circumstances? Nope, but I do feel the instructors did a good job giving the students the skills and information they need to begin to be divers.
With all due respect, do you really think that you have the background to make that judgment? I would suggest that students from a basic open water class have the ability to dive with leadership personnel, because they are completely unprepared for the myriad of things that can (and will) go wrong.
The instructors were all positive and made the whole experience fun and exciting. I think that works a lot better then adding stress to people by making it a military exercise.
The quasi-military training thing is a bogeyman that many instructors hide behind. It's the classic bad-mouthing of a product that they are not able to provide. Neither I, nor Walter, are suggesting making anything into a military exercise. I've been teaching diving for more than thirty years now and I have never once asked a diver to do a single push up, I have never asked a diver to run any distance, I never engaged in a single act of harassment.

Last edited:
sweatfrog:
A person who starts dive training can't grasp skills at the same level as a Divemaster either.

Of course they can, but it takes the right approach and plenty of practice.

sweatfrog:
I have seen the Y card, as I'm sure you have also that lists physical exercises that are to be accomplished before you complete the class. The drop out rate when I first got certified was high. There was a lot of swimming involved in those early courses.

I have several Y cards and I've issued my share of Y cards from Open Water up to and including Instructor. I have no idea to what you are referring.

sweatfrog:
It's a moot point anyway, since the AOW+ course was dropped a long time ago.

It is a moot point. The reason the course flopped was PADI never marketed it. A shame, because it was a pretty good class.

sweatfrog:
If the Insurance companies agreed with you, the sport of Scuba Diving, as we know it, wouldn't exist.

The insurance companies do not make determinations on that type of question. They really don't care if divers can take care of themselves or if the DM holding their hand takes care of them, they merely care about profit.

A person who starts dive training can't grasp skills at the same level as a Divemaster either. The skills that people need, should be nurchured and polished as they gain more experience. This should be accomplished in the pool or Open Water, during and after their first class.
Actually I'd stack the weakest of 100 hour students I've ever seen (from any institution, not just divers I've trained) up against any recreationaly trained DM. They'd win hands down, both on knowledge and skills.
Every Instructor has been given 'that look', when they tell someone they need to practice their mask clearing skills, or any skill for that matter, so that it becomes second nature to them. There's a line between certifying someone and telling them to go back to the pool for remediation. If the Instructor has people doing poorly in the Open Water, s/he needs to reflect on why that is happening.
Actually I never have been given "that look." The situation that you describe never occurs in a program that couples a good teaching/coaching design with sufficient time.
I do feel that people need to be comfortable in the water and that swimming is a good way to exhibit that comfort. My swim test can be completed easily by doing the sidestroke ... it that's too tough or too militaristic ... so be it.
I did teach the AOW+ Course, so I know what it involved. I also saw the NAUI Manual back then, but since you probably have most of the Instructor Manuals, I bow to your expertise. It's a moot point anyway, since the AOW+ course was dropped a long time ago.
It's not a moot point, it's a clear example of how disinterested in quality diver (and instructor) training some groups are.
No, insurance companies just change for what they perceived the risks to be.

Of course they can, but it takes the right approach and plenty of practice.
Some students would have problems accomplishing certain skills slowly and overtly. That's what a Divemaster should be able to do, with ease.

I have several Y cards and I've issued my share of Y cards from Open Water up to and including Instructor. I have no idea to what you are referring.
I'm refering to the pushups, chinups and situps that was on the Y cards in the 60's. Ask one of your elders about it.

It is a moot point. The reason the course flopped was PADI never marketed it. A shame, because it was a pretty good class.
I thought so to, but it should have been used as a prerequisite to DM. The slope for that course wouldn't have been as steep, had that been done.

The insurance companies do not make determinations on that type of question. They really don't care if divers can take care of themselves or if the DM holding their hand takes care of them, they merely care about profit.
That is their purpose, but if people are sueing and they aren't making that profit, insurance goes away.

Actually I'd stack the weakest of 100 hour students I've ever seen (from any institution, not just divers I've trained) up against any recreationaly trained DM. They'd win hands down, both on knowledge and skills.
That sounds like a challenge that I'd love to take you up on, if we could figure out how to work out the logistics.

Actually I never have been given "that look." The situation that you describe never occurs in a program that couples a good teaching/coaching design with sufficient time.
If thats true, kudos to you.

I do feel that people need to be comfortable in the water and that swimming is a good way to exhibit that comfort. My swim test can be completed easily by doing the sidestroke ... it that's too tough or too militaristic ... so be it.
Every diver should be able to swim. How well and how far is the subjective part. However, doing pushups, situps and chinups, like the Y used to require in the 60"s is too militaristic.

It's not a moot point, it's a clear example of how disinterested in quality diver (and instructor) training some groups are.
What is the group if not a covey of individuals. Those individuals are in turn, governed by the people paying for what they percieve as beneficial to them. Titles or not, people want to be percieved as being top of the heap. The title of AOW+ was a poor one and when people just had to do AOW to advance it affected the entire scheme of that course.

No, insurance companies just change for what they perceived the risks to be.
Who determines what those risks are? It seems to me that agencies and Instructors do that.

You took your shot at making NAUI better. During that time PADI grew disproportionately to what was happening at NAUI. That should have given you a clue as to the direction things were going then. Leapfrog is right, change comes from the inside and you had a great chance to make NAUI the best mousetrap around.

Your observations do not jibe with mine. I'd say that students don't make a choice of agency or program, in most cases they have no idea that there is an actual choice to make. They go to the closest shop and sign up, or the operator at the resort, in the rare case where there is an actual choice of vendors, "what agency?" is a question that is almost never asked, they want assurance that their certification will be recognized when they travel, but that's about it.
There is no question that PADI has done the best possible job of marketing, they did such a good job that they are a virtual monopoly.....
Up to here we agree, why do you say my observations don't jibe with yours?
.... but the way in which they did that reveals more about their underlying philosophy ... cut standards and inflate titles.
PADI does not cut standards and is inmersed in a serious quality control process to either retrain or expel instructors who do not strictly adhere to them. Yes, the titles are inflated, by PADI and everybody else. The question is does it really matter? There was a thread about this some months ago. It's pretty hard to get people to be motivated to become 2nd Class Divers or Weekend Newbie Divers. I don't really think that inflated titles are the problem we are discussing but rather the quality of training.
Now that maybe good marketing, but that's all it is.PADI started this trend, which I will grant you has spread. Just because others have adopted it doesn't make it right, it just shows how effective it is with an uninformed public.
TRUE. WE AGREE.

I have special feelings about this. I introduced the concept of Master Diver to the recreational world when I revised all of NAUI's Standards back in the 1980s. MSD was a rating that was designed to be all the elements of the NAUI Instructor program without the teaching theory, group control, and internal NAUI bumph. A NAUI MSD was the equal (as a diver) of any NAUI Leadership rank. In fact a NAUI MSD could become an instructor by taking a greatly abbreviated program that dealt with just those items, since there was no need for diving skill and knowledge instruction or testing.
I understand. Thanks for sharing this. So what could be done to introduce a similar concept today for PADI and/or other agencies?
The question was not if people were hurt or killed while skiing, the question was how many brand new skiiers where killed or injured.
It's reasonably safe to say that a certain percentage of those killed or injured are new to the sport. As in most "adventure sports" the newcomers and the very experienced are the most at risk.....there is overwhelming evidence to suggest that the younger skiers are at most risk....
I'm not advocating 100 hours for everyone. An effective course can be taught in about 40 hours.
We agree.
This is a red herring. Such programs were few and far between and did not exist prior to PADI. Open Circuit training was invented by the science community in the early 1950s.
I am not sure what you are driving at..............
We taught it to the Navy
I think you just entered dangerous territory with that statement..... maybe you would like to qualify it?
and the recreational community.
Maybe the recreational community learned from both the scientific community and the Navy?
It was not until PADI starting giving Instructor cards to anyone with a $10 bill who could write a letter claiming they had performed scuba training that such procedures appeared in the recreational community.
Can you prove that statement?
Where did it show up? Amongst PADI Instructors, of course. People who had mustered out of the service and then sent their $10 to PADI with a note that they had trained divers in the service.
Again, I think you should qualify the statement. It's pretty offensive to people who have served, come out of the Navy and gone up the recreational tree the hard way.
But even so, it was pretty rate, but now PADI Instructors (forgetting, or not knowing, their own origins) keep harping on that as one of the big changes ... it's such B.S.
It's precisely because we know our origins that we make a point of it. It is a change and a big one. We are teaching recreational diving, in other words for people to have a good time. Some instructors would still love to have ultra fit, mega motivated super students. But actually we get our pleasures seeing people who may be frail or frightened conquor their fears and live their dreams. Don't try and pull the wool over our eyes. Twenty years ago a number of agencies still mandated swimming down to 60 feet, opening the valve, sticking the reg in your mouth, doffing the kit and ascending. They also mandated free ascents. Both of these are straight out of the military manuals. Of course, if you haven't been there, maybe you don't know.
I used to train about forty entry level divers, twenty Master Divers, twenty AIs, twenty DMs and ten Instructors per year. Now I only train about ten divers a year, based on either past associations or travel that I'm interested in making.
It's easy to see how you make your sales then.
Any diver who does not sign up for additional programs does not get trained in those critical skills unless they latch onto a really good mentor.
TRUE.
But it's a myth that keeps getting repeated and repeated by people who where not there and have no idea of what was actually going on, it's become a justification and a false one at that. It's recreational diving at it's usual "best," a solution in search of a problem.
Are you sure? I think quite a few posters on this thread were there...........
That's all very nice, but rather irrelevant to the topics at hand.
Do you think that's all the important things that need to be learned about diving? Just one example: Safety Stops, given a 30 FPM ascent rate, are irrelvent. But PADI's tables have a 60 FPM ascent rate built into them, thus making safety stops of some utility. Did you know that? Did you know that the ascent rate is a integral part of the decompression model and can be changed as long as the tables are changed to deal with the new ascent rate?
Ripping into a new diver because he chose to train with PADI? Shame on you.
Did you perform a minimum of 17 practice sessions for sharing air? Did you know that according to research done at UCLA that is what's required to have 95% confidence that you will be able to successfully perform air sharing in a non-emergency situation?
Since when is UCLA an authority on the number of practice sessions needed for air sharing?
With all due respect, do you really think that you have the background to make that judgment?
With all due respect, if you had any respect for the posters opinion, you wouldn't need to say, "with all due respect".
I would suggest that students from a basic open water class have the ability to dive with leadership personnel, because they are completely unprepared for the myriad of things that can (and will) go wrong.
TRUE...ALTHOUGH YOU MAY BE UNDERESTIMATING SOME INSTRUCTORS AND SOME STUDENTS.
The quasi-military training thing is a bogeyman that many instructors hide behind. It's the classic bad-mouthing of a product that they are not able to provide.
I'm sorry but I don't understand these two sentences, could you explain them please? It sounds like there are some instructors that are hiding behind a guy called Bogeyman who would like to be selling........but can't?
Neither I nor Walter are suggesting making anything a military exercise.
Thank God for small mercies.
I've been teaching diving for more than thirty years now and I have never once asked a diver to do a single push up, I have never asked a diver to run any distance, I never engaged in a single act of harassment.
What has that got to do with the subject? Has anybody advocated that on this thread?

I have special feelings about this. I introduced the concept of Master Diver to the recreational world when I revised all of NAUI's Standards back in the 1980s. MSD was a rating that was designed to be all the elements of the NAUI Instructor program without the teaching theory, group control, and internal NAUI bumph. A NAUI MSD was the equal (as a diver) of any NAUI Leadership rank. In fact a NAUI MSD could become an instructor by taking a greatly abbreviated program that dealt with just those items, since there was no need for diving skill and knowledge instruction or testing. IT was a way to try and stablilize a system that would first produce truly expert divers and then permit those that had qualified as experts, who had the interest, to move on to various leadership roles.
Now this program has a lot of merit. I appreciate the thought you put into it.

It was not until PADI starting giving Instructor cards to anyone with a $10 bill who could write a letter claiming they had performed scuba training that such procedures appeared in the recreational community. Where did it show up? Amongst PADI Instructors, of course. People who had mustered out of the service and then sent their $10 to PADI with a note that they had trained divers in the service. But even so, it was pretty rate, but now PADI Instructors (forgetting, or not knowing, their own origins) keep harping on that as one of the big changes ... it's such B.S.
When I was in the Navy (decades ago) I could have signed up for that garbage. However, I could have gotten a NAUI card at the same time, with the same amount of paperwork. You're right about one thing though. That was B.S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom