Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to nominate myself for the "Dumbest Newbie" award. 10 minutes into a recent boat dive, I thought I'd check my SPG and was amazed to find it wasn't where I normally clip it, or floating behind me. Then I realised I was feeling a hard line down my back, under my BC. I'd managed to put my gear on with the SPG/computer between my back and my BCD. I was able to work it around just enough to see it, and probably used a fair bit of air in the process. All I can say is, I won't make that mistake again (and if I do I don't deserve to dive).

What about the non-newbie errors? I was recently on a dive with someone who had repeatedly boasted about being a Divemaster. I consider myself a relative newbie with less than 50 dives btw. We got aboard the boat to get to the reef and I assembled my gear and sat down to wait for arrival at the reef. Across from me was the "Divemaster" guest that was looking at my gear very oddly. I looked back at my gear and then at their gear and quietly said to them "I don't think that setup is going to work for you." The boasting Divemaster had assembled his gear backwards and upside down...making me wonder where and how he achieved becoming a DM. :confused::confused:

I'd like to nominate myself for the "Dumbest Newbie" award. 10 minutes into a recent boat dive, I thought I'd check my SPG and was amazed to find it wasn't where I normally clip it, or floating behind me. Then I realised I was feeling a hard line down my back, under my BC. I'd managed to put my gear on with the SPG/computer between my back and my BCD. I was able to work it around just enough to see it, and probably used a fair bit of air in the process. All I can say is, I won't make that mistake again (and if I do I don't deserve to dive).

Everybody does stuff like that eventually ... if they dive long enough or often enough.

The key is to learn from your mistakes. This one's an easy lesson ... which is to check your hoses (or have your buddy do it) before getting in the water. Trapping an SPG is a cheap lesson. Trapping a reg hose might cost you a lot more.

Diving's a very "routine oriented" activity ... make comprehensive gear and buddy checks a part of your every-dive routine. You now know why they're taught in every OW class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What about the non-newbie errors? I was recently on a dive with someone who had repeatedly boasted about being a Divemaster. I consider myself a relative newbie with less than 50 dives btw. We got aboard the boat to get to the reef and I assembled my gear and sat down to wait for arrival at the reef. Across from me was the "Divemaster" guest that was looking at my gear very oddly. I looked back at my gear and then at their gear and quietly said to them "I don't think that setup is going to work for you." The boasting Divemaster had assembled his gear backwards and upside down...making me wonder where and how he achieved becoming a DM. :confused::confused:

Someone who can't assemble their own gear is a newbie ... no matter how many dives or certifications they claim to have.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Someone who can't assemble their own gear is a newbie ... no matter how many dives or certifications they claim to have.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Indeed Bob! I agree...and was floored to look over and see the gear assembled the way it was after all of this person's blustering about being a DM.

...a typical o/w checkout weekend, 2nd day ( off a boat ). I'm first in off the stern & surface to face the hatchlings as they make their entry. Gotta D.M. standing by the ladder to do a final inspection of the student prior to a g.s. entry.

First two up are a husband & wife; she makes a good entry & swims to my side, & I have her hold position on a tag line. Next up is hubby. He does reasonable facsimilie of a g.s. & starts to make his way over to me. As the entry splash bubbles cleared, I noticed his eyes - big like saucers! His knees are bent back 90 degrees & he is sculling furiously toward me, breathing like an enraged dragon. I sprinted to his side and noticed his wt. belt was now resting in the crook of his knees!

Turns out this chap was what I term a "B.B.N.B." ( Big Belly - No Butt ), & his waist belt got dislodged from it's tenuous grip on his hips & was sliding down to oblivion when his insticts for belt-rescue kicked in & he captured it using the ol' "calve-capture" technique.

:10's later & an integrated wt. system in place, he was a happy bubbler!

Best,
DSD

...in the value of buddy checks; and still better, an additional head-to-toe check at the ladder by a D.M.

DSD

... AND forgetting to inflate his BC

...( inflating a b.c.d. prior to entry ), created a nice long discussion once-upon-a-thread in I2I; some were adamant for, some were adamant agin'. If anyone cares to discuss it, we can start a thread here.

Mini-hijack complete - back to regular scheduled programming...:)

DSD

Remember SAFE! Safely Ascend From Every dive...

Technically it's SLOWLY ascend from every dive....just makes your point better.....slowly, and while you're at it, safely ascend from every dive :)

...( inflating a b.c.d. prior to entry ), created a nice long discussion once-upon-a-thread in I2I; some were adamant for, some were adamant agin'. If anyone cares to discuss it, we can start a thread here.

Hang on, some instructors think you shouldn't inflate your BC prior to entry? I would be interested in reading that thread.

*attempts to not hijack this thread*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom