Dumb safety stop question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1- I know the air in a single wouldn't last.
2- Even if it would, I doubt I'd ever stay down that long anyway
3- It would have been nice of my dumbass buddy to let me know that he already posted this question!

And as he said it's more of a hypathetical question, not like I'm ever planning that dive.

grunzster once bubbled...

And as he said it's more of a hypathetical question, not like I'm ever planning that dive.
Nothing wrong with that type of dive. I done a few and they can be alot of fun.

One thing that comes into play here is the minimum bends depth. I believe current thinking puts it around 18ft(?).

The theory goes that above this depth it is extremely unlikely that a diver can be bent. Ascents to altitude afterwards pose a problem of course.

There's a hotel in Florida that allows you to spend the night (at 15' I believe), afterwards you do a direct ascent. They ask that you not fly or drive over mountains afterwards.

I recall reading somewhere that the inventor of the wheel or of some computer model started at this point that I paraphrase....[Even lying in a bathtub breathing compressed air, there will be some point whereby arising out of the tub will cause DCS[.....I will look and try to recall where that is from.

Anyone else heard or read about this quote that I paraphrased? I cannot remember the author. Maybe the guy that did the PADI wheel??

D***it, I edited that for better punctuation and less redundancy!!

Sorry everyone, seems that I sent the wrong post to the thread!!

I believe the theory goes along the lines of ...

If you do a full saturation dive to a given depth spending more time at that depth is not meaningful - your tissues are already completely saturated for that depth.

If you ascend from a full saturation dive a given number (fraction) of atmospheres, the largest bubble that will be created is still too small to cause a statistical likelyhood of DCS.

I believe 17' or 18' is the current minimum bends depth.

Getting bent coming out of a bathtub would violate this theorized and tested concept. With all due respect, I think this (bathtub bends) may be an urban legend.

Several pc deco packages use this concept to plan dives. In at least one you as a user can set the minimum bends depth as an input parameter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom