Dumb questions regarding doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if your diving in overhead like cave or wreck I would advise that the boots get removed, they are not a significant snag hazard but...

lean the tanks up against the wall or better yet put some eye bolts in the wall with a loop of 3/8" bungee to go around the valves for an added measure of safety.

I think people under estimate how strong metal really is. Picking up 100lbs without yielding shouldn't be a problem for the manifold that is designed to contain 7000+ PSI (Figure a factor of safety of 2 which is probably undercutting it)

1: Is is safe to lift the tank assembly grabbing under the cross-over valve?
The general recommendation is, 'Do not lift the tanks using the manifold.' But, as several have noted, there are some who do so with apparent impunity, and without apparent problems with leaking manifolds. Personally, I do not. I still lift only by the valves, or by a valve and a bottom corner, or by using the (still attached) BP, as one poster mentioned.
2: Do you guys keep the rubber boots on the tanks? Makes it easier to stand up in my garage, but not needed under water.
I took them off my double AL80s, because they have a flat bottom anyway. I kept them on my (round bottom) double steels, for the reasons noted by others. They are simply easier to handle (including grabbing an edge of the boot when lifting), easier to store, easier to fill, etc. As mentioned, it is primarily a matter of personal preference.
NorthWoodsDiver:
if your diving in overhead like cave or wreck I would advise that the boots get removed, they are not a significant snag hazard but...
A good point to consider.

I think people under estimate how strong metal really is. Picking up 100lbs without yielding shouldn't be a problem for the manifold that is designed to contain 7000+ PSI (Figure a factor of safety of 2 which is probably undercutting it)

Not true. Totally different direction of forces (bending strength vs. tensile strength).

A manifold will bend much easier than it will yield from internal pressure. I have seen literally dozens of bent manifolds but I have never seen even one that had failed from internal pressure.

Back
Top Bottom