Dumb questions regarding doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaswede

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, this is probably not the most intelligent question regarding doubles but I got to know.

1: Is is safe to lift the tank assembly grabbing under the cross-over valve?

2: Do you guys keep the rubber boots on the tanks? Makes it easier to stand up in my garage, but not needed under water.

Any input will be appreciated

scubaswede,

I was told picking them up by the cross-over could result in a bent cross-over, however, I usually pick them up using the cross-over and the bottom of the tanks.

As far as the boot, I assume that would be a personal preference as I have not heard anything one way or another (they don't fit on mine after making them into doubles, so for me it is a moot point.)

Mike

Okay, this is probably not the most intelligent question regarding doubles but I got to know.

1: Is is safe to lift the tank assembly grabbing under the cross-over valve?

2: Do you guys keep the rubber boots on the tanks? Makes it easier to stand up in my garage, but not needed under water.

Any input will be appreciated

The manifolds are pretty sturdy, but most people I know prefer not to use them as a handle. One way we carry them is to either leave the BPW on and just throw a strap over one shoulder and carry it that way, or in the case of bare tanks, hug them to your chest horizontally, with on arm under the bottom of the tanks and the other threaded through the space between the manifold and valves.

The boot/no boot arguement has gone on almost as long as boots have been around. If you're going to use the boots to stand the tanks up when you store them in the garage, my advice would be to make sure that they are clean and dry and no moisture or salt is trapped there to cause them to start rusting.

yep - manifolds are reasonably sturdy, but they *are* the weakest link, so don't rely on them as a handle.

boots are a matter of preference, but my tanks are just propped against the wall.

It may depend a little on which tanks you're using. I have been told before not to pick up tanks by the manifold, but the guys at Zero G in Mexico routinely do it, and those tanks are in use day after day. If carrying them that way resulted in significant manifold issues (and we're talking 20 or more sets of doubles, in daily use) I'm sure they'd stop doing it. But the tanks are Al80s, so they are light compared with larger steels.

manifold issue has been pretty well covered.
Your dive store staff will appreciate if you leave the boots on. Also the guys on the charter boat when it gets choppy out and unbooted tanks haven't been properly secured.

Personally, I wouldn't ever lift my tanks (regardless of type, size or weight) by the manifold. I'll either lift them by the bands, or if the BP & wing are attached, one band and the BP.
As for the boots; I leave them on ... unless I'm in a class. Most tech. instructors (at least in this area) tend to frown upon them.

Happy diving.
K

I try to not lift the tanks entirely by the manifold but the face seal o-ring manifolds are stronger in that area than the rotating bar manifolds and are less likely to not bend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom